April 27, 2024, 02:06:49 PM

News:

Cycle electric alternator kit fitment

Started by Reddog74usa, October 12, 2023, 07:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

Looking at replacing the charging system on my 75 FXE and would like to install the cycle electric kit  ALTERNATOR KIT 32 AMP CE-32A. Kit is pricey so I would like to make sure it fits before purchasing it. Info says it may work on shovels with use of a shim kit but may not clear the inner primary. Please let me know  if anyone has used this kit on a shovel and if so what did you have to do? Thanks, RD
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

kd

Did you give Cycle Electric a call.  Maybe they can walk you through it.
KD

Reddog74usa

Have read the instructions for 88 and earlier on their site. Even there is says the rotor may hit the inner primary. I like their stuff but it's a lot of money for a "maybe" and electrical parts are not returnable.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

dusty1

Do you need a 32 amp kit? I would stick with stock if possible

Reddog74usa

Don't really need a 32 amp kit and without knowing if the CE kit will actually fit I'm starting to consider other options. Trying to stay MADE IN USA
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

76shuvlinoff

I installed the Cycle Electric 32 amp stator and regulator in my 76 in 2004. I used the insulated version of the stator.  I used the stock rotor and have no idea if that effects the output or not. Obviously it works, I don't have the charging issues I was having.

I did it because my old connection was fried and the 32 amp has a much more secure connector. It's been a long time and I don't remember shimming being an issue for me. I made sure it didn't rub and that the chain alignment was spot on. No issues since, at least not with that.  :teeth:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Reddog74usa

Update: I was able to talk to Karl at CE about fitment on my 75 FXE. He just said to look for some casting defects that may have to be removed. Other than that he said he has yet to receive any calls about the 32 amp system not fitting on these early model cone engine Shovels.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

calif phil

Karl knows his charging systems, excellent resource and we are lucky to have a place like Cycle Electric. 

Reddog74usa

Update: installed the cycle electric 32 amp system. Cleared the inner primary with no issues. Worked out very well using there shim kit. I used the alignment tool from cycle pro to line it up and it also worked very well.  :chop:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

nibroc