April 27, 2024, 07:34:59 AM

News:

Checked sumping on the fatboy today

Started by itsafatboy, October 13, 2023, 05:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsafatboy

So got bike warmed up 5min and took the plug out got 2oz or so , i have the super magnet plug and nothing on it except the small amount of black film stuff, probably not the way to check but wanted to see if plug found anything after 2 years in, the 2 oz was fine i could let it sit and it would keep dribbling for ever softails are hard to check this with since tank drains by sitting. 

60Gunner

October 13, 2023, 10:30:29 PM #1 Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 10:36:40 PM by 60Gunner
Quote from: itsafatboy on October 13, 2023, 05:07:08 PMSo got bike warmed up 5min and took the plug out got 2oz or so , i have the super magnet plug and nothing on it except the small amount of black film stuff, probably not the way to check but wanted to see if plug found anything after 2 years in, the 2 oz was fine i could let it sit and it would keep dribbling for ever softails are hard to check this with since tank drains by sitting. 

Tank drains with aftermarket pumps without the spring plate for sure. Mine does rather quickly but returns even quicker once running.
But I'd rather have it sump parked than when running high rpm for sure. Its why I run a 3 stage pump in the first place. Not for the added oil pressure.
I've toyed with the idea of a shutoff valve in the feed line. I wouldn't recommend anyone do  this as forgetting to open it would have catastrophic consequences quite quickly.

itsafatboy

yes i run the 3 stage thayer pump , and it does sump when sitting but like you said returns quick, thanks for the oil info read a lot and not going to use race oil probably just stay with the 20/50 redline the 2100+ in phos, and zinc, are pretty good and it has some moly,  the brad penn looked interesting and like you said kendal gt oil originally , and i remember the kendal was what bobby always ran, 

60Gunner

Quote from: itsafatboy on October 14, 2023, 10:17:02 AMyes i run the 3 stage thayer pump , and it does sump when sitting but like you said returns quick, thanks for the oil info read a lot and not going to use race oil probably just stay with the 20/50 redline the 2100+ in phos, and zinc, are pretty good and it has some moly,  the brad penn looked interesting and like you said kendal gt oil originally , and i remember the kendal was what bobby always ran, 

No worries. Good you read up on it and made an informed decision. More than most do.

OldBogie

My 2000 heritage sumps when it sits for long periods. I just start it up easy, it just pumps down the crankcase quite quickly and puts the oil into the tank. After 23 years of this routine without (knock on wood) issues I stopped worrying about it.

Bogie