April 27, 2024, 09:50:14 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Optima Lithium Batteries

Started by Ohio HD, October 14, 2023, 09:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattls6

Quote from: Ohio HD on November 15, 2023, 02:26:44 PMYuasa has a 500cca battery for 2007 up baggers. There are a few other brands out there that has a 600cca. So for me, a 500cca cranks my 124" over just fine, can't even detect any slow cranking. I plan to stick with "keep it simple stupid" for the batteries for now. I had my lithium experience, it was short lived.

I honestly would tell most people not to bother unless they're drag racing or AGM isn't cranking it over well enough. Reality is, most people wouldn't notice the difference in their bike's performance with a full tank of gas vs low on gas, which is more of a weight difference than the lithium provides. Made in PA Yuasa AGM have been my battery of choice for years.
Handful of hot rod Sportsters and Softails

Ohio HD

Quote from: Mattls6 on November 15, 2023, 05:58:31 PMMade in PA Yuasa AGM have been my battery of choice for years.

And they have those handy finger ledges to grip the battery with.

hattitude

Quote from: Deye76 on November 15, 2023, 04:30:33 PM"talk about transferring AGM and other wet cell batteries over to Lithium."
Are these RV batteries lithium ion? Motorcycle are lithium iRon, there is a difference. The Antigravity brand in my FXR stays on a tender when not riding, so it gets charged when the temps are well below freezing.

I just looked at the Battle Born site. They talk about their line of "Lithium Ion RV Batteries", however in all the descriptions they are shown as "LiFePO4 Deep Cycle" Batteries.

Pretty sure "LiFePO4" is Lithium iron .....  So I suspect they are using the "Lithium Ion" term as a general name for that whole Lithium category of batteries...

I just replaced my battery bank with LifeLine AGMs, so I haven't done serious research into the Lithium RV application... I just remember a bunch of talk about cold weather issues...

Sorry I can't speak more intelligently about the specifics of those issues... 

I was just throwing it out there for consideration for those contemplating the change...

FWIW...

I'm pretty happy using Yuasa AGM batteries... Like a couple have mentioned, the 500CCA Yuasa in my bagger, spins my 124" engine without issue.

I recently replaced the Yuasa in my bagger at 5 years with no signs of getting weak.... But it was 5 years old, and I was about to leave on a 2 week trip that would involve several days in the desert with temps over 100°.

When I got back from that trip, I tested the 5 yr old Yuasa battery with a friend's fancy battery tester... it said it was "good" and tested at "87%" strength....  Go figure  :nix:

Deye76

I've had good luck with Yuasa(agm) and Antigravity. IME lithium motorcycle batteries have become more reliable than they used to be.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kink04fxd

I like to stick to proven technology.
2000 FLHTCI (now carb)<br />1982 FLH

hrdtail78

What info I can't find on these restarts and smart load cell balance batts.  Can I hook up more than one in parallel.  I couldn't find the answer with phone calls, and I do have some emails sent out.  Seems my email inquiries go overseas so ....  Waiting for replies.

I have limited space on a project, and this is one solution.
Semper Fi