April 27, 2024, 11:48:05 AM

News:

Optima Lithium Batteries

Started by Ohio HD, October 14, 2023, 09:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

For those interested in Lithium batteries, Optima has gotten into the game with powersports batteries. One thing that looks like a better mouse trap is they have a dongle that attaches to the battery that is used for the restart feature. It also doubles as a connector for the battery maintainer. It connects under a removable top cover, and can be routed out either side of the battery.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/products/orangetop-quad30/

kd

That other company  :teeth: has one also aside from the remote and manual button for restarts,  It plugs into an SAE connector that can also be used for your heated gear etc.  That's one of the nice things about a 4 post battery. Lots of room for accessories.  It will wake up the ATX30HD (the 970 CCA non restart feature battery).  The BMS (battery management system) actually shuts it down before it goes too low to re-start and the dongle excites it and wakes it up through the connector.   
KD

Ohio HD

Yeah I had one of the other companies batteries. It went to sleep and never woke up again. But the replacement Yuasa AGM cranks it every time. And is made in the USA.

I personally will refrain from Lithium batteries in vehicles. 

FloridaJim5

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 14, 2023, 11:40:53 AMYeah I had one of the other companies batteries. It went to sleep and never woke up again. But the replacement Yuasa AGM cranks it every time. And is made in the USA.

I personally will refrain from Lithium batteries in vehicles. 

Same here.  I bought a Yuasa GYZ series AGM battery and it's an amazing battery.  Highly recommend it. 
Just checked the Optima link above.  $560 ouch! 

Ohio HD

Quote from: FloridaJim5 on October 14, 2023, 01:15:51 PMSame here.  I bought a Yuasa GYZ series AGM battery and it's an amazing battery.  Highly recommend it. 
Just checked the Optima link above.  $560 ouch! 

I know that many have had good luck with lithium, but my first purchase was a flop. And I can have an AGM in 500cca and cranks over my 124" just as fast as it does my 96". Being made in Laurel Dale Pennsylvania is a bonus.

turboprop

Timing for this could not be more perfect as I have been looking around for replacement batteries for the three bikes. The goal is to have commonality across all three bikes, same chargers, interface, operating characteristics, etc. Currently have Anti Gravity batteries in the FXRs and an AGM of some sort in the bagger. I like the dongle/remote switch on these and I think I have some sort of pro plan with Optima that provides a good discount. This battery could very well end up in all three bikes. My only concern right now is the CCA of the battery sized to fit into an FXR. It is much lower than the current AG. Will see.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

If you do go this route, I for one would be interested in your opinion of them after you give them a go.  Especially after using the AG batteries.

I think that Johnson Controls bought Optima several years ago. In general Johnson Controls can bring technology to the companies they acquire.

boooby1744

I've got a Twin Power for 6 1/2 years along with an Optimate 4s5a Charger;so far so good. Optima looks good but you need to use their charger or connect yours directly to the battery terminals. Appears if you're a cold weather(sub 23*F)rider,this may not be for you.

Ohio HD

October 15, 2023, 11:16:06 AM #8 Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 12:14:13 PM by FSG
I think they're just being up front about it. Seems like a lithium thing and not an Optima thing.

Lithium Hub

boooby1744

October 15, 2023, 11:50:32 AM #9 Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 12:12:44 PM by FSG
I'm guessing engine heat will keep that from happening unless you stop/park in very cold climates.

JSD

In Australia we have SSB super start batteries i've been using for years. Mine is 700cca and will spin motor over without the manual decomps pressed . Not that i do it as it is hard on starter i would think. 

kd

Probably 10 years or more ago when there were a few members trying out the new lithium battery technology this cold weather effect syndrome came up.  It wasn't due to warnings but through actual experience.  Back then. on cold days, these folks would turn the switch and lights on and get their jackets, helmets and gloves on before they touched the starter button.  The power usage warmed up the battery and re-invigorated the starting capacity.   
KD

IronButt70

I got a very good deal on a Shorai lithium for my softail about a year ago. Was always worried about the overheating and fires you read about with lithium but mine has been rock solid so far. Spins the motor over the same hot or cold.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Deye76

"on cold days, these folks would turn the switch and lights on and get their jackets, helmets and gloves on before they touched the starter button."

My routine since my first LI in 2018. These Optimum if dependable should be a good choice for M8 Softails where the battery is almost impossible to get at. On my Lowrider S I run a clampless harness for a direct connection to the jump box.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

SmokyOwl

Quote from: boooby1744 on October 15, 2023, 11:50:32 AMI'm guessing engine heat will keep that from happening unless you stop/park in very cold climates.

I find it very strange how they programmed the bms temperature sensor to 23F.  That's REALLY low and I think that might just be asking for trouble with the cells, 10 degrees increase in temperature isn't exactly what I'd call a "slight increase".  Personally if I had one I'd still just bring it inside the house for the winter.  At that price point I'm inclined to buy one just to tear it down and see the components and connections, hopefully there's good components in there to justify the price.
"Attack life.  It's going to kill you anyways." - Steve McQueen

hrdtail78

I have not had good luck with the restarts from the other company.  Thier HD batteries?  I have had great luck with.  For $200, I will stick with Noco for my customers street bikes. I also have them in a no charging system config.  They seem to work fine.
Semper Fi

wfolarry

The restart button should be used to get the battery to accept a charger. If you use it to start the bike & it goes dead there's no coming back from the grave. I know they don't tell you this but it's been my experience & what works for me.

Buglet

I've being trying one of those restart Lithium battery's for over a year. I purposely let it go dead hit the restart no problem starting for over the last year. I don't keep it on a tender just checking how good the battery is. So far no complaints. 

98fxstc

Quote from: Buglet on November 03, 2023, 05:52:47 AMI've being trying one of those restart Lithium battery's for over a year. I purposely let it go dead hit the restart no problem starting for over the last year. I don't keep it on a tender just checking how good the battery is. So far no complaints. 

Your location is not listed. Are you subject to cold temperatures ?

Buglet

In the NE and yes it gets cold.

hattitude

I don't have any experience with the motorcycle lithium batteries...

But in the RV world, there is a lot o talk about transferring AGM and other wet cell batteries over to Lithium. One big concern in that application is that they keep saying that you will damage a Litium battery if you charge it at below 32°F.

They talk of moving the batteries into the interior of the RV to benefit from the heat inside the RV when camping in cold temps. They also talk of enclosing the otherwise open battery compartments, and adding a heater.

The Battle Born batteries, with built in heaters controlled by the battery's BMS, are very popular in the RV world.

Not sure how that cold temp recharging of an RV house battery bank transfers to just a motorcycle start battery, but I thought I'd throw it out there for consideration for those in cold temps...

Hossamania

After all the info given about lithium batteries, they don't really meet my needs, I'll stick with whatever my indie or Batteries Plus has on the shelf.
My Duracell from Batteries Plus was purchased in 2016, 7 years + on the battery, still working. I call that ok service.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Mattls6

November 15, 2023, 01:36:05 PM #22 Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 05:24:11 PM by Mattls6 Reason: Iron not ion**
I put a Shorai lithium iron in my Sportster a little over a year ago now. The bike sits for months at a time, never put a charger/maintainer on it and it fires up great every time. It even fired right up after sitting throughout the winter (PA) unused for about 5 months. I will note that I've not tried to start it in freezing temperatures. The motor has ~200 CCP and this is the first time in 13 years of ownership that I don't get hot start kickback.

I do not recommend lithium iron for everyone but these battery types have their place. I run AGM in my other bikes, TBD on whether I will go lithium iron on those when the time comes.
Handful of hot rod Sportsters and Softails

Ohio HD

Yuasa has a 500cca battery for 2007 up baggers. There are a few other brands out there that has a 600cca. So for me, a 500cca cranks my 124" over just fine, can't even detect any slow cranking. I plan to stick with "keep it simple stupid" for the batteries for now. I had my lithium experience, it was short lived.

Deye76

"talk about transferring AGM and other wet cell batteries over to Lithium."
Are these RV batteries lithium ion? Motorcycle are lithium iRon, there is a difference. The Antigravity brand in my FXR stays on a tender when not riding, so it gets charged when the temps are well below freezing.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP