April 27, 2024, 01:48:36 PM

News:

120R’s from different years.

Started by 838, October 15, 2023, 02:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did Harley make any changes/improvements/corrections to these 120R engines over the years?

60Gunner

Not that I'm aware of tho they probably should have. I was going mention this in your other thread but count yourself fortunate to get 30,000 out of those crap lifters and ridiculous valve spring pressures. Many have not faired so well.

Quote from: 60Gunner on October 15, 2023, 03:47:27 PMNot that I'm aware of tho they probably should have. I was going mention this in your other thread but count yourself fortunate to get 30,000 out of those crap lifters and ridiculous valve spring pressures. Many have not faired so well.

This one is not mine, yet. I told the owner the same thing. He's not riding it currently so I told him not to! It's miracle it's still going.

I have everything on the bench to turn this into a nice torquey thumper except new valve springs. I'll probably pull the heads, get zero deck, and send the heads to be cleaned up, milled for either a tr590 or 662-1 (I have both on hand).

Not sure on the durability of the bottom end on these. That's one of the reasons I asked the question? By the nature of the motor, you'd expect a more robust bottom end, but I don't know anything about the flywheels, rods... I know they have lefty bearings, but that's about all.

jty

Have the valve geometry checked, viton seals.

Bottom end is good, I have 45K miles with Tr 660SM, avv springs, s&s lifters.
Clutch basket broke (sportsman clutch) but crank is still straight.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office

Quote from: jty on October 19, 2023, 01:29:37 PMHave the valve geometry checked, viton seals.

Roller rockers and travel limiters?

98fxstc

Have a mate with a 2016 Breakout.
He had the dealer pull the 103 and put a 120R in it before he even took possession of it.
42000 kms and a scissored crank without being mistreated
Got a good 103 off ebay (about 35000 kms)and put back in it.
Back on the road today.

jty

Quote from: 838 on October 19, 2023, 03:16:22 PM
Quote from: jty on October 19, 2023, 01:29:37 PMHave the valve geometry checked, viton seals.

Roller rockers and travel limiters?
I have stock rockers, lifters have travel limiters, going to check/change/fix them this winter
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office