April 27, 2024, 02:44:22 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New 114 performance

Started by pauly, October 16, 2023, 10:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauly

October 16, 2023, 10:15:42 PM Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 05:30:32 AM by pauly
Hi all,
I've recently picked up a 23 flhtk with the 114 M8.
Overall it's a pretty cool bike, however I have a question about its performance.
I've completed running it in carefully, and with about 1500 ks on it, I thought I'd see how it goes.... I should add it's completely stock. The motor runs out of usable power around 4000rpm. There is no way in hell it would get anywhere near the redline of 5.5k.
A question for those of you that have owned or ridden a stock 114 - Is that normal? (That the engine has no power past 4k)

Thanks
Pauly

BigT

Quote from: pauly on October 16, 2023, 10:15:42 PMHi all,
Overall it's a pretty cool bike, however I have a question about its performance.
I've completed running it in carefully, and with about 1500 ks on it, I thought I'd see how it goes.... I should add it's completely stock. The motor runs out of usable power around 4000rpm. There is no way in hell it would get anywhere near the redline of 5.5k.
A question for those of you that have owned or ridden a stock 114 - Is that normal? (That the engine has no power past 4k)

Thanks
Pauly

All stock Harleys since conception have been slugs past 4k.

pauly

Hi BigT,

Thanks for the reply. It's been a while since I had a new Harley . Last was an 07 Softail which wasn't as bad as this one! (In that I never thought there was a problem with it because it was missing it's top end).

Pauly

Quote from: BigT on October 17, 2023, 06:00:33 AMAll stock Harleys since conception have been slugs past 4k.

Hossamania

A tune can help with that. In order to keep the warranty you might be able to get a "stage 1" flash tune from the dealer. Not sure what is offered from the Moco in that regard.
And then of course there is the route of changing cam and a tune. A friend did their "torque" cam and it woke up quite a bit, keeping warranty.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JSD

It should rev to limiter. My Nephew is a HD tech  and says go back to dealership

Hossamania

Quote from: JSD on October 17, 2023, 02:55:15 PMIt should rev to limiter. My Nephew is a HD tech  and says go back to dealership

I agree. But be aware it has a pretty aggressive speed limiter, so if you are trying to run it out in an upper gear, it may be hitting that.

pauly

Hi Hoss,
I'm hoping to stay stock for a while with this one. I'll see what the dealer comes up with tomorrow.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: Hossamania on October 17, 2023, 02:47:49 PMA tune can help with that. In order to keep the warranty you might be able to get a "stage 1" flash tune from the dealer. Not sure what is offered from the Moco in that regard.
And then of course there is the route of changing cam and a tune. A friend did their "torque" cam and it woke up quite a bit, keeping warranty.

pauly

Hi Jed,

Ah that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks for that. It's in for its first service tomorrow so I'll see what the dealer has to say.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: JSD on October 17, 2023, 02:55:15 PMIt should rev to limiter. My Nephew is a HD tech  and says go back to dealership

pauly

Hi again Hoss,
Nah.. I was not doing a really high speed. Would have been less than 150ks.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: Hossamania on October 17, 2023, 02:59:39 PM

I agree. But be aware it has a pretty aggressive speed limiter, so if you are trying to run it out in an upper gear, it may be hitting that.

DTTJGlide

What gear were you in? It should easily pull to the rev limiter in 4th gear & below.

60Gunner

I wouldn't run it to 5000rpm with a stock EPA compliant tune. Isn't the stock WOT AFR like 14.5:1?
That's crazy when max power is achieved @ 12.8 to 13.2. Yeah, I've heard all the " engines today are built for it" nonsense.
Pretty sad when a 114cu.in. can't even hit 85hp in stock form. Talk about neutered.

Jamie Long

Quote from: 60Gunner on October 18, 2023, 09:14:19 AMI wouldn't run it to 5000rpm with a stock EPA compliant tune. Isn't the stock WOT AFR like 14.5:1?
That's crazy when max power is achieved @ 12.8 to 13.2. Yeah, I've heard all the " engines today are built for it" nonsense.
Pretty sad when a 114cu.in. can't even hit 85hp in stock form. Talk about neutered.

stock tune commands 11.8 AF at WOT, zero issues running an M8 to the limiter on the stock tune

Jamie Long

Thanks
Pauly

something is clearly wrong as a stock M8 engine will run cleanly to the 6k rev limiter, however they do nose over power wise in the upper RPM's

rigidthumper

As long as he's talking about gears 1-4, yes. Speed governor limits them to ~110 MPH.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Jamie Long

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 18, 2023, 10:23:45 AMAs long as he's talking about gears 1-4, yes. Speed governor limits them to ~110 MPH.

correct, however he noted "I was not doing a really high speed. Would have been less than 150ks" which would have been well below the speed limiter

pauly

Hi Dttjglide,

I tried it in 3rd and 4th I believe. I tried it in third this morning on the way to the dealers and it pulled to 5k ok. ....the only difference is that in my previous test I had ridden about 300ks, when for this test I'd ridden about 40 ks.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: DTTJGlide on October 18, 2023, 01:55:23 AMWhat gear were you in? It should easily pull to the rev limiter in 4th gear & below.

pauly

Hi 60gunner,

Well.. it is what is is eh. I'd love it to idle like a shovel, handle like a Buell, and last like a knucklehead, but it's a great bike anyway. I tested it again on the way to the dealers and it got to 5k ok.
Thanks
Pauly.

Quote from: 60Gunner on October 18, 2023, 09:14:19 AMI wouldn't run it to 5000rpm with a stock EPA compliant tune. Isn't the stock WOT AFR like 14.5:1?

pauly

Hi Jamie,
It got to 5k all right this morning on the way to the dealers. The dealer tells me it's all good. Hope it never becomes an issue again, but at least it's been logged as a problem before the first tune.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: Jamie Long on October 18, 2023, 10:21:58 AM

Thanks
Pauly

something is clearly wrong as a stock M8 engine will run cleanly to the 6k rev limiter, however they do nose over power wise in the upper RPM's

Hossamania

Could be a symptom of sumping.

pauly

Hi Hoss,
That's what I was thinking too. The fact that I'd done 300 or so ks when the problem showed itself may indicate that. I guess all I can do is ensure the dealer knows about the issue, and (if it shows itself again) will take an active approach to resolving it.

Thanks
Pauly.

Quote from: Hossamania on October 19, 2023, 04:23:26 AMCould be a symptom of sumping.

60Gunner

Quote from: Hossamania on October 19, 2023, 04:23:26 AMCould be a symptom of sumping.

With the latest and greatest HD pump? Surely you jest... ;p.
I'm kidding of course. I wouldn't trust the moco to ever get it right when it comes to oil pumps and sumping.
This latest pump has burned up a few builds already due to sumping despite what most claim as to solving it.
If the OP did indeed sump so easily in a stock bike...?
I've only done a handful of m8 builds with another sitting here. It won't leave with an HD pump.

pauly

Well I've asked the dealer to note it down, and next time I have a long ride I'll check after 300ks, if the bike is not revving again. Hopefully any issues will be found and fixed in the warranty period!

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: 60Gunner on November 01, 2023, 11:22:41 AM

With the latest and greatest HD pump? Surely you jest... ;p.
I'm kidding of course. I wouldn't trust the moco to ever get it right when it comes to oil pumps and sumping.
This latest pump has burned up a few builds already due to sumping despite what most claim as to solving it.
If the OP did indeed sump so easily in a stock bike...?
I've only done a handful of m8 builds with another sitting here. It won't leave with an HD pump.

pauly

Hi all
Update on this issue - it's no longer an issue, however drinking oil became a problem.
I've been unable to replicate the lack of performance in 4000 ks, and I've tried in numerous conditions.

What did seem to become an issue was oil consumption. It seemed that every few hundred ks, I'd loose another couple of notches on the dipstick. Anyhoo, about 2 weeks ago, I loaded the wife and some luggage, let her know I was going to hammer it a few times, and did exactly that, a number of times over a 600 k ride. The oil consumption has stopped.
So, for those of you that are suffering oil consumption with your m8, and haven't tried aggressively seating your rings, turn off the traction control, and give it a go. YMMV but it seems to have worked for me.

Thanks
Pauly

JSD

Quote from: pauly on December 23, 2023, 02:30:45 PMHi all
Update on this issue - it's no longer an issue, however drinking oil became a problem.
I've been unable to replicate the lack of performance in 4000 ks, and I've tried in numerous conditions.

What did seem to become an issue was oil consumption. It seemed that every few hundred ks, I'd loose another couple of notches on the dipstick. Anyhoo, about 2 weeks ago, I loaded the wife and some luggage, let her know I was going to hammer it a few times, and did exactly that, a number of times over a 600 k ride. The oil consumption has stopped.
So, for those of you that are suffering oil consumption with your m8, and haven't tried aggressively seating your rings, turn off the traction control, and give it a go. YMMV but it seems to have worked for me.

Thanks
Pauly
Happy for you Pauly

wfolarry

Quote from: pauly on December 23, 2023, 02:30:45 PMHi all

Thanks
Pauly

That doesn't happen. Your rings were seated long before that.