April 27, 2024, 03:48:22 PM

News:

all Balls Starter

Started by hd76fxlr, October 18, 2023, 11:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd76fxlr

I have an All Balls Starter in mt 1976 FXE . 97 in. 3 13/16 bore . My starter is only good for about 2 tries and then too low battery . I do have compression releases` and Dyna single fire ignition .
 Has anyone tried points for better starting ?
 If you use bike every day its better ; but this is my week end warrior bike .

hd76fxlr

Hossamania

How old is the battery? What is the voltage before starting? What is voltage while running?
Have you tried jump starting to see if that helps?
There is a way to check for amps while starting which I do not know, or take it in and get it tested.
What makes you think the starter is the problem?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

How long are you cranking the starter with no start?

motorhogman

Sounds like a battery or charging system issue more than a bad starter. More testing needed as Hoss asked about.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

JSD

I read some where that All balls starters are Bosch ? Any thoughts

FSG

Quote from: JSD on October 18, 2023, 03:20:59 PMI read some where that All balls starters are Bosch ? Any thoughts

some maybe but a lot of ABR Starters have the Country of Origin listed as Taiwan

Dan89flstc

If the battery gets weak after two tries, it is probably shot.

Charge it fully and have it load tested.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

Quote from: Dan89flstc on October 19, 2023, 06:51:50 AMIf the battery gets weak after two tries, it is probably shot.

Charge it fully and have it load tested.

Unless the two tries are 30 seconds each.

Reddog74usa

If the battery checks out you may want to consider replacing all the cables with 4 gauge welding cable. I found it along with some good quality ends and make my own. Really made a big difference on my 89 incher...
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Karl H.

Quote from: JSD on October 18, 2023, 03:20:59 PMI read some where that All balls starters are Bosch ? Any thoughts
Definitely not!
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

76shuvlinoff

I have an ALL Balls starter on my 93"er.  My choice of cams has me at 185 psi cylinder pressure hot. Before that I was at 210-215. No comp releases.  I keep telling myself I am going to sacrifice my dual plugs and install some but never get to it.  I have a Scorpion AGM FLH battery and keep her on a tender.

Years ago I installed high torque field coils in my Prestolite and didn't see a huge improvement going from that to the All Balls.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway