April 28, 2024, 04:27:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Trike question

Started by roadkingdresser, October 19, 2023, 03:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Friend of mine bought a 2015 freewheeler and it's got a rattle noise in the rear that sounds like an exhaust shield loose. Checked all of them and they are tight.Took both tires off and checked all the bolts holding anything together.Thought maybe might be the muffler hangers,no. Then checked the bracket for the cross over pipe -no. loosed up the box mounts and shifted it a little,nothing. Setting there idling it's o.k. but when you set down it starts. Driving me crazier. The thing only has 753 mi. on it. Any input would be really appreciated.
roadkingdresser

NHBagger

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

Quote from: NHBagger on October 19, 2023, 04:05:56 PMLoose baffle?

Tap on the exhaust and other parts with a rubber hammer.

Fugawee

Taking a few Wild Guesses here...

Trunk Lid Hinges?
Rear Brake Calipers and/or Pads?
Parking Brake Assembly?
Any Chrome Covers Installed...such as on the Starter or elsewhere?

rigidthumper

Does it have a lift kit installed? My left muffler made contact with the axle housing after the installation of the kit.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

roadkingdresser

Checked all of the above,just can't seem to locate it.
roadkingdresser

Hossamania

Tacocaster

I presume you meant, "sitting on it, it starts". that would imply you're loading the suspension - at least a little. You may need a crash test dummy in the saddle as you "rattle test".

Another thought came to mind - could it be a loose stone/bolt/shrapnel behind a baffle?
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

roadkingdresser

Had the wife set on this thing and I tried to check everything that I could get to. With the seat off and side panels it's still not easy to get to anything. I used an old broom handle to put pressure on anything visible. lt's almost impossable to get to anything besides the mufflers from under neath. About the only way to stop the noise is to slightly push down on the left rear fender above the license plate or to push down on the left muffler. He's going to ride it some and see if it gets worse or quits. It really annoyed me when i took it for a small ride. Thanks for theinput.
roadkingdresser

Tacocaster

Sure sounds like a clearance issue that needs more....well, clearance.

Sorry RKD, no idea how to pull the crap off to get at it more but you can bet if taken to a Dealer, they won't find it cuz they won't load the suspension. Takes two "Resources" to do that.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

kd

Quote from: roadkingdresser on October 21, 2023, 01:59:53 PMHad the wife set on this thing and I tried to check everything that I could get to. With the seat off and side panels it's still not easy to get to anything. I used an old broom handle to put pressure on anything visible. lt's almost impossable to get to anything besides the mufflers from under neath. About the only way to stop the noise is to slightly push down on the left rear fender above the license plate or to push down on the left muffler. He's going to ride it some and see if it gets worse or quits. It really annoyed me when i took it for a small ride. Thanks for theinput.

Where is the wiring harness routed in that area?  Is it possible that a clip has failed and the wire loom is vibrating against something in that area.  If all it takes to silence it is a slight flexing of the body panel in that area it could be the culprit.
KD