4 speed Ratchet Trans service life/total mileage

Started by 98s1lightning, October 20, 2023, 08:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

98s1lightning

How many miles are y'all getting out of a ratchet 4 speed if its been all REBUILT PROPERLY?

There's got to be some guys on here doing the big miles on the old bikes, I'm sure of it.

JSD

motorhogman

I had a 73 Super Glide for about 28 years. It had one hack tranny rebuild very early in it's life due to leaks. Maybe around 1979. Figured if it's out just rebuild it. Never shifted smoothly and was a bit noisy after that.  Got a second rebuild with all Andrews gears, etc, in the 90's, it was perfect after that right up til I sold it in 2002. Miles wise, I have no clue.. A lot.  Total miles on the entire bike was somewhere around 250,000 over the 28 years I owned it.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

76shuvlinoff

Mine puked on me in 2002 and has sat on shelf since, needs rebuilt but ...yeah.. someday.
 I wanted to try a 5 inna 4 anyhow. 
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

98s1lightning

250k on a shovel!!!!!!

Daaaaaaannnnnggggg

Congrats on that

bump

My 78 has about 125k, I bought it new in 78. Replaced seals in tranny a few times over the years, about 3 years ago I took it apart to replace seals again and found one of the springs in rachet mechanism was broken. The rest of the all checked out good. I don't know the real mileage but it has had 3 speedos over the years, currently showing about 50k on it.

motorhogman

Quote from: 98s1lightning on October 25, 2023, 05:38:18 AM250k on a shovel!!!!!!

Daaaaaaannnnnggggg

Congrats on that

wasn't hard.. 28 years.  Of course you know everything from front axle to rear axle was either replaced or rebuilt at least a few times.

motorhogman

Quote from: bump on October 25, 2023, 06:52:35 AMMy 78 has about 125k, I bought it new in 78. Replaced seals in tranny a few times over the years, about 3 years ago I took it apart to replace seals again and found one of the springs in rachet mechanism was broken. The rest of the all checked out good. I don't know the real mileage but it has had 3 speedos over the years, currently showing about 50k on it.

I lost track of how many speedos I replaced. Eventually put 5 gallon tanks on it with an FLH dash and speedo, that one lasted the longest. It was still on there when I sold it. Just know I used to ride a good 10,000 mi a year back then.

Reddog74usa

Just took the top off the trans on my 75 FXE with 40K on it and it looks great and needs nothing but new seals. Bike is stock and wasn't hot rodded.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

JSD

Quote from: Reddog74usa on November 10, 2023, 07:34:29 AMJust took the top off the trans on my 75 FXE with 40K on it and it looks great and needs nothing but new seals. Bike is stock and wasn't hot rodded.
Those loose roller boxes are tough 

CraigArizona85248

A properly rebuilt transmission that wasn't just thrown together (bearings replaced, a tolerances carefully checked, etc) will easily go 100k+ miles.