April 27, 2024, 10:19:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

CV carb on a 93" shovel

Started by FZappa, October 23, 2023, 02:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FZappa

I can obtain a later model year (what year unknown) CV carb with shovel rubber band manifold for cheap. Already have a super E but like ride to altitude every now and then.  If jetted correctly, would the CV carb work ok?  Thanks for your help.

Brianowski aka FZappa

turboprop

There are a bunch of good threads about this in the shovelhead section of this forum.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

98s1lightning

You are unhappy with the performance of the Super E with altitude change? 

I read of someone changing their needle height on a Mikuni HSR flat slide because of poor performance at altitude. I've done that job on mine with the carb still on the bike, not something I'd be trying to do on the side of the road. I'd rather mess with a Super E roadside over a Mikuni any day. 

I run both carbs 
Just a lot more parts to mess with on a Mikuni

I don't run CV's but thought you may find this info helpful in your search

m1marty

I (and some of my guys) have/run CVs on everything from knuckleheads to twin cams with great results. On the older bikes(knuck/pan/shovel), you'll find you need to jet a fair bit richer than more "modern" examples like the evos and TCs.
OFFO

sharkoilfield

Have gone from sea level to over the Beartooth Pass with CV carbed TC; never would've known altitude was supposed to be a problem. The carb was tuned (on a dyno with a sniffer) at about 2200 ft altitude. I've used all 3 stock CV's from HD with NO problems. (40/44/51)

hattitude

For years, several of us from San Diego would ride to Yosemite to meet up with a group from Oakland. We (the San Diego group) always went up the 395 and into Yosemite via Tioga Pass.

For several years I did this trip on an EVO Heritage with a CV40 carb. That's from San Diego (sea level) through Tioga Pass (10,000 feet) and never had a hiccup with that bike/carb/tune...

76shuvlinoff

When I went to the 93" S&S "Shovel" I eventually tried a 40mm CV, good carb but it piddled out at top end. I've had a 44mm on it for 3-4 years.  I think it's a little big and slightly cold blooded but I have it running pretty well (seat of pants dyno). I am NOT a tuner but for me the CVs have better manners than the Es I've used.  YMMV.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway