April 28, 2024, 02:41:07 AM

News:

Dent Puller

Started by Sinker, October 24, 2023, 11:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinker

calif phil

I have a Snap-On version of those, sometimes it will pull a dent perfect and sometimes not so good, but I have only used it a few times.   Another option is to find a really good PDR man.  They can work magic. 

Hossamania

The main problem, even for pdr, is that the metal used for the tanks is quite stout and hard to work.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Maybe ask a local Paint-less Dent Repair company for a quote. They have lots of tools at their disposal to get the dents out.

IronButt70

Try stuffing an inner tube into the tank and inflating it. There are youtube videos for that.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Hossamania

Hossamania

Sinker, do you have a picture of the dent?

Fugawee

Not the exact same kit that You may be interested in purchasing, but it'll show You what You may be up against.
Later in the Video He will show how a Pro may do it on a Car, not a Gas Tank.

Hossamania

Another problem with gas tanks is that there aren't usually any real flat panels, and once the metal is curved, it is made stronger, harder to pull dents.

JW113

I dropped my RK on my Indian in the garage (kickstand was not "locked"), the apehanger bar put a nasty dent in the right tank along the top edge. Was heart broken I tell ya. I called around, no one in my area would do PDR. I found an outfit down in San Marcos CA called Dent-Time, said they could do it. A couple weeks and $200 later, my tank shows up on my door step, dent completely removed and paint in perfect condition, could not even remotely tell that it had been dented. Well worth it to save a paint job!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

JW, that is really good to hear.

JW113

Thanks Hoss, and indeed I was amazed. The bar didn't crack the paint, but it smudged it pretty good. And as stated above, the metal in this (repop) tank is really heavy gauge. I saw some videos on how this is done using heat (to soften the paint?) and pushing on the dent and looking at those zebra stripe patterns. "They say" that formed metal has memory and 'wants' to go back to it's original shape, they just have to carefully help it get there. Hey I don't know, but it sure does work very well. And they must have buffed the scuff marks out when they're done. I should have taken before and after pics to impress and amaze my friends.
 :SM:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Sinker

Hoss, I've been out of town and haven't taken a pic yet. I will post one when I can.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: JW113 on October 26, 2023, 12:44:42 PMI dropped my RK on my Indian in the garage (kickstand was not "locked"), the apehanger bar put a nasty dent in the right tank along the top edge. Was heart broken I tell ya. I called around, no one in my area would do PDR. I found an outfit down in San Marcos CA called Dent-Time, said they could do it. A couple weeks and $200 later, my tank shows up on my door step, dent completely removed and paint in perfect condition, could not even remotely tell that it had been dented. Well worth it to save a paint job!

-JW

I have a dent in my Mustang door. I'll give them a call.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Ohio HD

I've had two different Chevy trucks that were in a hale storm. The 2016 was only six months old, and had dents everywhere, hood, roof, tops of the bed, doors, etc. They took every dent out, and there had to have been 100 or more. Those guys are pretty good.

Hossamania

A friend of mine explained it pretty well one time. If any of you ever played wiffle ball as a kid, you dented the balls on a pretty regular basis. You couldn't push the dent out from the inside, so you'd push all around the dent with your thumb and work the dent out pushing the plastic from the outside toward it.
Hard to believe metal works the same, but kind of the same principle going on, working it inside and outside, which is the forgotten part of the process for us mere mortals who don't do it for a living.

hattitude

Quote from: JW113 on October 26, 2023, 12:44:42 PMI dropped my RK on my Indian in the garage (kickstand was not "locked"), the apehanger bar put a nasty dent in the right tank along the top edge. Was heart broken I tell ya. I called around, no one in my area would do PDR. I found an outfit down in San Marcos CA called Dent-Time, said they could do it. A couple weeks and $200 later, my tank shows up on my door step, dent completely removed and paint in perfect condition, could not even remotely tell that it had been dented. Well worth it to save a paint job!

-JW

Thanks for sharing that info...! That's about 10 miles from me.

I have a fender from a 2003 Anniversary Paint Heritage that I replaced many years ago... Back then (circa 2006), the painter that was recommended to me wanted more than a new fender cost.

But I still have the old fender w/ the dent. A spare would be nice... I'll check them out...

I show one in Escondido, CA, not San Marcos, CA.... but they are right next to each other... must be same thing...

Thanks again...

RoadKingKohn

I had a basketball size dent in a car door plus some dings in another door.

I found 313 Dent & Detail in Westland, MI. Took it to him and was able to watch him work. No signs of the dents and the paint was perfect.

I have sent several people to him since and they all are amazed in what was able to fix.

Jim Bronson

My Mustang dent is about the size of a half dollar and spans a crease in  door panel. The paint is undisturbed. I called a mobile PDR guy, and he fixed it about 90%, but it can still be seen if you know where to look. I'm thinking the hot glue method might work, but I won't attempt it myself. Maybe Dent Time can finish it.

You cannot see attachments on this board.[attach id=114695]

Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Ohio HD

Check with your insurance agent as to who he / she use in your area. They should know who's good and who isn't.