April 27, 2024, 08:39:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

My 107 build

Started by topcat3815, October 31, 2023, 10:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topcat3815

Bike is 2014 Flhtk going to 107 using new S&S flywheels, CP bullet 10.25 pistons skirts coated cylinders bored ,honed by Tman,head work by Tman street performer,stock throttle body with new 4.3 injectors,S&S stealth air cleaner,Fuel Moto head pipe, ceramic coated,with Supertrapp fatshot mufflers Andrews Tw54 cams, Power vision with target tune. With 87cc chambers and zero deck height with cosmetic .030 head gaskets. Engine should have 10.25 static and 9.35 corrected compression. Waiting on heads then break in a tuning. Just looking for good running reliable build. Reason for build stock rods we're sticking.

Ohio HD

You can't go wrong with T-man at the wheel. It sounds like it'll be a good solid motor.

The only thing I would do differently if it were mine, is either buy a Darkhorse custom built crank with their competition rods and balanced to your piston weight, they're $1,600. Or have yours rebuilt and balanced to the new pistons by Darkhorse, using their competition rods for around $1,150.

I bought Ray's (No Cents) 117" motor several years ago, his crank was a Darkhorse rebuild of the OEM crank and after I beat on that motor for a little better than 40k miles, the crank is still under 0.0015" runout and the rods feel just fine, no rough or tight spots. I've also bought two 4-5/8" Darkhorse cranks, one I've been running since 2016, the other is in a set of cases that needs to be finished. John also gives first rate customer service.

S&S has gone through a period of sending out some cranks that the rods stuck and caused problems. I know of one member, CVOKing he had two go out in one motor. So I stay leery of them. I don't want to be in that group that receives a bad one.

When I was looking to have a 4-5/8 built for the current motor I'm building, I spoke with Stanley Gardner at Gardner Racing Concepts, he said he won't use S&S assembled cranks.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,101183.msg1437249.html#msg1437249

topcat3815

I bought the S&S flywheels in 2018 hopefully they are good ones

Ohio HD

I would expect that the ratio of good versus bad should be in your favor.

Myself being an "over do it" kind of guy, I would probably send the crank to Darkhorse to have it looked at. But that's me, and how I'm wired. If the cost isn't prohibitive, they could rebalance if needed, check the rod bearing setup, pro plugged and true and weld. There's nothing wrong with the flywheel and rods that S&S supplies. As I understood it they had some assembly issues for awhile.

SP33DY

You will be happy with your 107 build. Mine is similar, S&S flywheels, Andrews 54, Axtell angle dome pistons, ported heads, 58mm S&S trhottle body. It runs smooth as silk and pulls hard to the limiter.

60Gunner

November 01, 2023, 09:45:03 AM #5 Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 10:08:57 AM by 60Gunner
Bob at S&S did my crank. New lefty bearings. Rebuilt the balance assembly just because. Tested piston squirters. I won't quote the price because it was at cost for the crank and before the price hike. Let's just say he did it all for less than the cost of the crank now. Way less.

The late model S&S cranks are balanced to 1065gr for both pistons. Earlier twin cam cranks are balanced to 1230gr. as stock tc88 pistons weighed more. Full skirts?
Stock 103 pistons are 532gr per including rings, wrist pin, clips.
Most pistons for late model twin cams are close enough to not matter or come with different wrist pin weights.
A 3.938", CP forged piston with a 6cc dome weighs 544g. Mine are 3cc. Smooth as a baby's backside and I don't run a compensator on a solid mount B motor.

Far better wheels and crank pin. No welds needed. No Timken necessary. Not necessary with a stock crank either. He won't do them.
I'm wondering if these few failures I hear about are with 5 piece cranks? Or before the better crank pins?
I wonder if any darkhorse cranks have failed we don't hear about? Not that Darkhorse does anything but fine work. But "Potty mouth" happens.
I wouldn't sweat running an S&S crank because of a few known failures for whatever unknown reasons.

98fxstc

Quote from: 60Gunner on November 01, 2023, 09:45:03 AMBob at S&S did my crank. New lefty bearings. Rebuilt the balance assembly just because. Tested piston squirters. I won't quote the price because it was at cost for the crank and before the price hike. Let's just say he did it all for less than the cost of the crank now. Way less.

The late model S&S cranks are balanced to 1065gr for both pistons. Earlier twin cam cranks are balanced to 1230gr. as stock tc88 pistons weighed more. Full skirts?
Stock 103 pistons are 532gr per including rings, wrist pin, clips.
Most pistons for late model twin cams are close enough to not matter or come with different wrist pin weights.
A 3.938", CP forged piston with a 6cc dome weighs 544g. Mine are 3cc. Smooth as a baby's backside and I don't run a compensator on a solid mount B motor.

Far better wheels and crank pin. No welds needed. No Timken necessary. Not necessary with a stock crank either. He won't do them.
I'm wondering if these few failures I hear about are with 5 piece cranks? Or before the better crank pins?
I wonder if any darkhorse cranks have failed we don't hear about? Not that Darkhorse does anything but fine work. But "Potty mouth" happens.
I wouldn't sweat running an S&S crank because of a few known failures for whatever unknown reasons.

Darkhorse do quality work as well as provide quality service.
If you had a look at a Darkhorse crank, you wouldn't be wondering if there are any failures.

Hilly13

S&S are not bulletproof, as some would have you believe......
Just because its said don't make it so

m1marty

Quote from: Hilly13 on November 01, 2023, 04:26:53 PMS&S are not bulletproof, as some would have you believe......
I've twisted a few.
OFFO

JSD

No issues with my S&S crank. I dont do burn outs but do give it the gas at times. 

Quote from: m1marty on November 01, 2023, 05:20:09 PM
Quote from: Hilly13 on November 01, 2023, 04:26:53 PMS&S are not bulletproof, as some would have you believe......
I've twisted a few.

Based on what I've seen you post in the dyno section I'm guessing that wasn't from lugging the engine either!!! 😂!

m1marty

Quote from: 838 on November 02, 2023, 06:15:25 PM
Quote from: m1marty on November 01, 2023, 05:20:09 PM
I've twisted a few.

Based on what I've seen you post in the dyno section I'm guessing that wasn't from lugging the engine either!!! 😂!
I paid for the entire tachometer. So my thinking is- I'm going to use as much of it as I can 😆
OFFO

topcat3815

The engine is together it started right up, idling great good oil pressure, put 180 miles on it running good. Going next week to have it tuned.

JSD

I got Hoody to fit mine and asked him after he tested Zero run out should we weld it. He said ask that bloke who was watching . His is not welded and turbo charged at 180 hp on Lushys dyno. That was 8 years back may i got a good one ? I have blown the clutch hub splines on stock clutch with energy one kit replaced with Rivera Pro. My ride is a 01 fxst and compensator  

Hilly13

Quote from: JSD on November 10, 2023, 05:54:49 PM
I got Hoody to fit mine and asked him after he tested Zero run out should we weld it. He said ask that bloke who was watching . His is not welded and turbo charged at 180 hp on Lushys dyno. That was 8 years back may i got a good one ? I have blown the clutch hub splines on stock clutch with energy one kit replaced with Rivera Pro. My ride is a 01 fxst and compensator 

100%, they can handle huge power, trouble being if they don't, i was under the impression they were the ducks guts until I was told/read on here of slippage, some will call them out for abuse but that's not always the case, if it has served you well so far I'd be inclined to believe it will continue to do so, Mark knows how to build an engine, I take him at his word.
Just because its said don't make it so

JSD

Hope your right Hilly. Hoody has my 68 cases & 4 3/4" at moment . You in SA ? Im in Horsham . Just at Marks the other day . Later Mate

topcat3815

Took bike to Tman today Brian tuned went to pick it up and I was  pleased with results 111.2 HP at 5500 and 118 pounds of torque at 4600 rpm hit 100ft pounds at 2000 rpm. I can live with this.

Mattls6

Sounds like a nice, reliable, no drama combo. Out of curiosity, any reason why you chose the 54H over the 580PS or 625PS?
Handful of hot rod Sportsters and Softails

topcat3815

The Andrews 54 was what I had on hand and when I bought it was the go to cam,apparently it was a good choice

topcat3815

I would like to give a shout out to Tman, Brandon and Brian they really went out of their way to help me. They are some really good people. I am lucky they are 20 minutes away from me.

Ohio HD

Sounds like an all day no PMS runner.    :up:

topcat3815

Follow up to my 107 build bike runs great, if I can get rid of the intake reversion noise I will be happy. All suggestions and replies much appreciated, Have a great Thanksgiving

harpwrench

I would try a 4 degree advance sprocket on that cam. With where it puts all the events it might run even better, and I think moving the exhaust opening sooner will make the noise go away. I had a 2-1-2 with 'trapps on my 107, no intake clucking with a 48 degree exhaust opening.