April 27, 2024, 05:07:35 PM

News:

Digital Technician II Usage

Started by Ohio HD, November 02, 2023, 08:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

I think I know the answer but hey, I've been wrong before. Do HD dealers have the ability to make a change to an ECM without the bike being present? I assume no, but thought I'd ask.

Specifically I'm looking at having the 5th gear updated when using a current transmission, 2010 and newer in a 2008.

Coyote

Ohio HD

Like I said, I assume no. But one never knows. I know that TTS and I think Fuel Moto makes ECM changes without the bike, I assume some form of test bench.

Coyote

Quote from: Ohio HD on November 02, 2023, 08:21:46 AMLike I said, I assume no. But one never knows. I know that TTS and I think Fuel Moto makes ECM changes without the bike, I assume some form of test bench.

They most likely are using Teamviewer to take control of your PC to do it. You still need to have the interface connected.

Ohio HD

The case with TTS is when you send them an ECM to be unlocked when you don't have the original tuning interface. They have to power it up somehow. I thought that Fuel Moto also could unlock them, but I could be wrong about that.

rigidthumper

A bench harness can be made, but finding a dealer that can/will do that would be rare. most common work around  solution is to use an in house host bike of the same model & year, and swapping ECMs for flash purposes.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

I'm just trying to avoid the reflash the ECM from a TTS tune to the factory ECM tune, then trailer the bike to a dealer, hoping they'll flash the 5th gear upgrade while I'm there. The make sure they don't start it up with a lean tune in there, head back by trailer and reflash tune. 

Can you dial in the 5th gear change with a TTS or PV by means of adjusting the gearing and VSS. Then does that take care of the old to new 5th gear change and allow the sixth gear light and cruise control to operate?

Ohio HD

I may have answered my own question. A 2008 MAP and a 2011 MAP both have the same gear ratios shown. So I would imagine that's it's how the ECM interprets the data based on the fifth gear difference.

Nothing is easy....

Buglet

Years ago I made a set up so if I had to have the dealer program the ECM they could without having the bike. Over the years they must of done a dozen or so for me. Never ran into any problems. The first time they were kind of not sure what would happen when they plug in digital tech in. Like digital tech going to know if the ECM is in the bike.