April 27, 2024, 07:17:28 AM

News:

Barnett Clutch pack doesn’t all fit.

Started by Mike G., November 03, 2023, 02:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike G.

I have a 2011 Ultra 96". Bought Barnett plates and steels. 
Pulled the old steels and plates out, and tried to put same amount , in same order , back in. They were soaked prior.
All the plates won't fit on the hub.The last steel there is not enough room on the hub ,let alone the last friction plate. 
I checked all the " sharp" edges on the steels, all facing same direction.
Stack height is identical, I can't figure out what's wrong.
Part numbers were double checked, and correct. 

Coyote

Are you sure you got the bottom, thin steel one, out from the original pack? Not like the rest and It's easy to miss.

Mike G.

November 03, 2023, 02:43:22 PM #2 Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 04:22:02 PM by Mike G.
There are two thin rings behind the pack,one concave, one l
Flat and instructions say leave them in, unless you go with the Extra Plate version.

If you mean the thinner friction plate, yes, that is the first one to go in..

Ohio HD

And the two need to look like this. If the stack is the same, no reason it won't all go in there.

Mike G.

That's what I thought, which is why I got stalled..
I may pull the whole basket assy out, and see what's up.

Thanks

Coyote

Ohio HD

If you can't get the inner two damper springs to seat correctly, if you do have the basket off, drop the clutches in with it on the bench, then put the assembly on the mainshaft.

Hilly13

At this time in life(i speak from some experience here) reading glasses really help, hope you get it sorted mate.
Just because its said don't make it so

Ohio HD

Make sure that Barnett gave you 1 narrow fiber plate, and 8 regular fiber plates. The narrow fiber must go on first, after the two damper springs, numbers 8 and 9. The narrow fiber fits over the outside dimeters of numbers 8 and 9, then a steel, and alternate until they're all used.

FSG

it has to be simple if the Stack height is identical 

Hilly13

Ohio might be onto it there, mess that up an it will sit out.
Just because its said don't make it so

Mike G.

November 04, 2023, 09:19:33 AM #11 Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 09:43:17 AM by Mike G.
Ok, looking this morning..That first thin friction plate butts up against the judder spring and seat, its inner diameter does not go over those two.
I'm going to try it with the OEM thin fric plate, and see if that makes a difference..

Progress ! The thin ring, and concave ring do not fit the ID of the first Barnett fric plate.

They do fit the ID of the OEM thin fric plate..Why that is I don't know..
Can I use the stock one with new Barnett parts, or do I open up the ID on the
new plate..This has to be the issue... OEM on left...New Barnett on right
You cannot see attachments on this board.

Ohio HD

Yes you can use the OEM, I've had to do that as well. I don't know why that continues to happen from Barnett. I know I've personally told them twice. I'm sure others have as well.

Ohio HD

So now I can't help but look. I pulled a Barnett clutch and a basket to fit the OEM and the Barnett narrow fiber disc. I also measured them.

OEM narrow 5.483" ID and 5.940" OD
Barnett narrow 5.472" ID and 5.928" OD

So apparently they did start listening. You can see the two on top each other, they fit pretty well flush with each other. And the two damper rings fit inside the Barnett narrow fiber.

Maybe you have an older unit that sat in stock somewhere.

Barnett on top of the OEM

Both damper rings fit into the Barnett narrow plate

Mike G.

November 05, 2023, 09:28:49 AM #14 Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 01:42:49 PM by FSG
Thanks for all the help everyone..
In addition to the new clutch, installed a Darkhorse Compensator..
I will have it back together tomorrow.

IronButt70

Quote from: Mike G. on November 05, 2023, 09:28:49 AMThanks for all the help everyone..
In addition to the new clutch, installed a Darkhorse Compensator..
I will have it back together tomorrow.
Good luck with your Darkhorse Comp. Mine significantly increased what I would call high frequency vibrations. Could be felt in handlebars and just about everywhere on the bike I could place my hand while riding on the superslab. My crank runout was well within the Darkhorse specs. I removed it after 1 day and returned it. I know many like them but it just didn't work for me.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Mike G.

Thanks for the info...If it starts buzzing,I'll know what it is... :scoot: