April 27, 2024, 05:59:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 plastic intake manifolds. Any evidence of quality issues?

Started by pauly, November 04, 2023, 04:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauly

Hi all.
As with all subjects, the internet is awash with opinions on plastic in automotive applications. I had a bmw car that seemed to have more plastic than steel in the engine bay, and while it was young, everything was fine. As it aged though, the plastic components started falling apart.
So.... I have a lovely new 114 M8 with a plastic manifold, that we will be taking to some very warm (bastard hot) climates.
Is there any evidence of these plastic manifolds acting up in hot weather, or any other time for that matter?

Thanks
Pauly

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

rigidthumper

Warpage of the plastic manifold can result in mild to severe intake leaks, causing issues. I'd recommend replacement after warranty period is over, or sooner if stage 2/3/4 is going to be done.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

pauly

Hi rigid thumper.
Thanks for that. Sounds like a plan, however I may struggle to wait that long.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 04, 2023, 07:41:09 AMWarpage of the plastic manifold can result in mild to severe intake leaks, causing issues. I'd recommend replacement after warranty period is over, or sooner if stage 2/3/4 is going to be done.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hilly13

Pauly, Lushy told me he has changed a heap of the manifolds on bikes sent to him for tuning as they were leaking, some much worse than others, owners didn't know, and that is the thing isn't it!
Just because its said don't make it so

pauly

Hi Hilly,
Ok thanks. Think I will plan to replace it sooner rather than later as it can get pretty hot here in some areas of Australia. Would hate to have an issue in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: Hilly13 on November 04, 2023, 10:07:49 PMPauly, Lushy told me he has changed a heap of the manifolds on bikes sent to him for tuning as they were leaking, some much worse than others, owners didn't know, and that is the thing isn't it!

Tail Ridr

Quote from: pauly on November 04, 2023, 08:28:01 PMMy bike too 🤪
Only on the exhaust side of your heads, still an air cooled engine

Quote from: Deye76 on November 04, 2023, 07:03:29 AMPauly, your car has water cooling.
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

FSG

Quote from: pauly on November 05, 2023, 02:19:10 AMWould hate to have an issue in the middle of nowhere.

which is where we are most of the time  :chop: 

pauly

I've ordered the se manifold, and associated seals and orings. Also got the dealer to confirm an ecm recalibration will not be required as its bone stock.
Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: Hilly13 on November 04, 2023, 10:07:49 PMPauly, Lushy told me he has changed a heap of the manifolds on bikes sent to him for tuning as they were leaking, some much worse than others, owners didn't know, and that is the thing isn't it!

pauly

Installed the se 55mm manifold today. Went without a hitch. No more worrying about high temps (common here in au) screwing with the plastic between my heads :-)

Quote from: pauly on November 08, 2023, 01:20:07 AMI've ordered the se manifold, and associated seals and orings. Also got the dealer to confirm an ecm recalibration will not be required as its bone stock.
Thanks
Pauly

pauly

Update - I took the plastic manifold (which is perfect as it's only had a few weeks use) to the best Harley mechanic I know. I asked him to put it up on the wall, and when someone who comes in with a leaky M8, who is concerned about money ( we've all been there - hard times), he will give them the manifold no charge.

Thanks
Pauly

FSG

roadkingdresser

So is it ok to use the harley o-rings on the S&S manifold?
roadkingdresser

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?