April 27, 2024, 02:23:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

how do you line up a new caliper?

Started by jethro1200, June 11, 2009, 06:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jethro1200

I am trying to line up a new single caliper. What is the best order to work in. Axle caps right to left then axle nut? Any ideas on procedure would be helpful. 1976 FXE, narrow glide.

kickstart

single or dual disc ?
You lining up the caliper or the rotor ?
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

jethro1200

It is a single disc, the rotor is squared away but the caliper and mount are new GMA parts.

kickstart

Quote from: jethro1200 on June 11, 2009, 06:33:09 PM
It is a single disc, the rotor is squared away but the caliper and mount are new GMA parts.

so what do you need ?
Rotor spaced out ?
They make spacers for that
It's about CONTROL.

jethro1200

kickstart

Quote from: jethro1200 on June 11, 2009, 07:10:14 PM
kikstart, read the first post.

OK did that
Q: still he same
Whud I miss ?
the rotor doens't line up with the caliper ..... and  ????
It's about CONTROL.

jethro1200

All done now, just keep working till you figure it out.

gryphon

Here's something I've always done when installing a new multi piston caliper like the GMA. After it's installed I pump up the brakes a few time while spinning the wheel. Then I remove the caliper and see if both pistons are out the same distance. This tells me if i need to space it in or out.

gryphon

Since you doing a front wheel heres another trick I use. After it's all installed and pumped up I spin the wheel. listening to the noise of the pads dragging I loosen the caliper bolts. If it gets quieter then it's dragging to the inside. I slip in shim stock (usually just a feeler gauge actually) and retighten till it's running it's quietest. using this method you can also check to se it it's cocked.