April 27, 2024, 03:17:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

head change on 03 ultra

Started by chas, November 10, 2023, 04:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

Thinking of changing out my heads on my 03 Ultra this winter. I have a S&S 509 cam right now but thinking of going bigger! I have a chance to get a set of 07 heads for short money, but not sure if they will fit ok? I have heard that all i will need is the 07 flange to go with the heads. What are your thoughts on this move? Many thanks in advance- Chas

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: chas on November 10, 2023, 04:51:35 AMThinking of changing out my heads on my 03 Ultra this winter. I have a S&S 509 cam right now but thinking of going bigger! I have a chance to get a set of 07 heads for short money, but not sure if they will fit ok? I have heard that all i will need is the 07 flange to go with the heads. What are your thoughts on this move? Many thanks in advance- Chas

Take your 03 heads and have them ported and CCed. Cost more but it a much better investment that will actually improve performance.

Hossamania

Quote from: RoadKingKohn on November 10, 2023, 05:11:57 AM
Quote from: chas on November 10, 2023, 04:51:35 AMThinking of changing out my heads on my 03 Ultra this winter. I have a S&S 509 cam right now but thinking of going bigger! I have a chance to get a set of 07 heads for short money, but not sure if they will fit ok? I have heard that all i will need is the 07 flange to go with the heads. What are your thoughts on this move? Many thanks in advance- Chas

Take your 03 heads and have them ported and CCed. Cost more but it a much better investment that will actually improve performance.

I tend to agree. If going with a bigger cam (don't overcam your motor), have the heads done to match.
What are your plans for the motor? What are your goals?
Which cam are you looking at?
Just a cam swap and tune? Changing to hydraulic tensioners and conversion cams or staying stock spring tensioners?
Are the '07 heads going to get rebuilt, ported, or just bolt on as-is?
A lot of different ways to go. Need to know the plan first.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

I ran a 2005 95" ultra with heads blueprinted and milled to achieve 10:1 with a 48n conversion cam. That sucker was flat out quick!!! One of my favorite bikes I've had... the 48 likes the short stroke motor. S&S power tune duals and mellows. It walked all over a new M8 CVO back when they first came out... much to the disappointment of the guy that just spent 60k on a bike 😂😂😂!!!

chas

Thanks guys for the advice! I was thinking to just clean up or do a mild porting of the 07 heads. I thought they would complement the 509 cam. I did the S&S cam plate, tentioners, pump when I did the cam. So the 07 head would be compatable with my 03 88?

Ohio HD

Yes, and as you stated just change to the late model intake flanges.

Hossamania

Going bigger with what? Cam, bore?
Or just a head change for the 509?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

calif phil

2007 heads if they are cheap. New intake flanges, .030 Cometic head gaskets and cam to match will be worth the effort.

Ohio HD

November 10, 2023, 10:54:23 AM #8 Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 11:02:04 AM by Ohio HD
Quote from: chas on November 10, 2023, 08:15:33 AMThanks guys for the advice! I was thinking to just clean up or do a mild porting of the 07 heads. I thought they would complement the 509 cam. I did the S&S cam plate, tentioners, pump when I did the cam. So the 07 head would be compatable with my 03 88?

If you plan to just do a cleanup yourself, just try to knock all of the rough edges off, and try to make the valve seat smooth where it fits against the head casting. I wouldn't try to take an real amounts of the head casting away. You may do more harm then good. Below is just a clean up of the port. You also could buy better valves, meaning better flowing. All of that won't get much, but maybe some slight gains.

If you wanted a little more, I would look at our site vendors web site's and see what they have in the way of minimal porting and ask them what to expect.

chas

Thanks Ohio HD for the pics! Will I have to get 07 rosker boxes and covers, or will my oem 03 rocker boxes and covers work?

Ohio HD

All parts will interchange. The only difference is as you know is the flanges.

Also, FYI, your original heads use valves with 5/16" diameter stems. So the valve guides and valve seals are for the same. The 2007 heads have 7mm valve stems, and the guides and seals for that stem diameter. It's only important to know that if you purchased valve, guides or seals later. Just look up parts for the years the heads are from.

Mi Infidel

I have an 01 88" for reference. Super Glide so it's lighter.
If you're taking the heads off at minimum I would get new pistons with a little more compression say 10-1 and a cam of your choice. I like the Fueling .543. Cams are not the magic bullet they are just one component in a build. That said they can make or break the build. 
My set-up is

88" bored to 98" with ewww KB 10.5-1 pistons and 2006+ stock heads. 
Fueling .543 cam
Supertrapp Fatshot. It was cheap.
Fueling HP+ oil pump.
Stock CV jetted and cleaned up.
29 tooth front pulley.
Dynatek ignition with custom map

I've never had it dynoed but it's fun and reliable. It'll pick the tire up without trying to hard especially if I've had a couple of drinks. On a closed course of course.
The front pulley change made a huge difference. 
That's my experience. 

2001 FXD 2006 stock heads 95" @ 10.5:1 Fueling 543
Dynatek ignition Supertrapp 2:1 29 tooth front pulley

chas

Thanks again about the heads and valve size, compatibility. My plan is to clean up the heads, rough areas, polish, replace valve seats,valve job, .030 cometic head gasket. I read about the 03 cranks being the weeker of the 88 cranks, and about scissoring from higher compression? Is this an issue if you are racing or beating on the bike? I dont do that, Im looking for the torque I want when I'm passing a vehicle, or going through the gears and the pull is there rather than just alot of noise!

Ohio HD

You won't be hurting anything based on the way you describe your riding style. Also I assume you mean, seals, and not seats.

Quote from: chas on November 13, 2023, 08:38:36 AMThanks again about the heads and valve size, compatibility. My plan is to clean up the heads, rough areas, polish, replace valve seats,valve job, .030 cometic head gasket. I read about the 03 cranks being the weeker of the 88 cranks, and about scissoring from higher compression? Is this an issue if you are racing or beating on the bike? I dont do that, Im looking for the torque I want when I'm passing a vehicle, or going through the gears and the pull is there rather than just alot of noise!

If you're staying 88" getting the new (to you) heads milled to achieve 79-80cc will put you around 190ccp with the 509. You'll feel the difference there 👍👍👍

I had 79cc heads with the Andrews 48n at 95"! Loved that bike 👍 no manifold fitment issues for me at 79cc.

chas

Right i meant valve seals!