April 27, 2024, 05:08:44 AM

News:

heritage wind buffering

Started by bobrk1, November 15, 2023, 06:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrk1

on the  highway  I get  a  lot  of  buffering  to  the  point  of  being  annoying  and  I see on YouTube  people  using  a deflector  on top of  windshield  and  lower  ones that  bolts  to  the  forks ,do they  work  as good  as  they  say ? I'm   looking  for  something  that  will  help  with  it on a  road  trip . thanks 

calif phil

Try a Klockwerks flare shield.  Not cheap but they are wider than the factory shield and flared on the top and sides to help with buffeting.  Offered in the FLSTC size and RoadKing sizes. 

Breeze

Although my Electra Glide is quite aerodynamically different than your Heritage, putting the "fangs" on my forks made a noticeable difference in buffeting that seemed to come up from the tank. Disclamer; my EG has fangs/lower tree baffle/fairing wing vents and a wider windshield, so I can't attest to which did the most. :nix:
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

wolf_59

On my 04 Fatboy I used the chrome fangs with the Roadking windshield  :up: the fangs made a huge difference

Jim Bronson

I went through this with my '14 Heritage. I installed an HD 'windsplitter' shield, and I was very pleased with it. I had hardly any buffeting.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Sinker

Why doesn't HD design windshields that work properly in the first place? I went through this with a new bike last year and it was annoying. I am 5'10 and the Lowrider St windshield must have been designed for a dwarf.

Arseclown

Lots of wind may come under the screen. The size, shape and placement of the screen can influence pressure and turbulence around the screen causing buffet. As others have said, addressing the air flow below the screen using fork mounted deflectors, or fairing lowers, work well

The only screen/fairing I haven't felt any need to consider wind buffet coming from underneath is the original fxrp fairing. Bloody brilliantly designed fairing 

Ohio HD

I agree, on clear style windshields like on a Softail, a lot of wind comes from underneath and around the fuel tank. When I was riding my FXST out west and back I had a windshield on it, and added lowers to the upper fork leg to break up the wind flow. The windshield and lowers were from Memphis Shades.

These worked pretty good.

https://memphisshades.com/products/wind-deflectors-lowers?variant=39775699894338

bobrk1

going  to  try  the  fangs, but the  buffering  is hitting  my  helmet  and  shaking  it drives  me  crazy  on the  highway .

Arseclown

Could be windshield height or angle of setup too impacting this

boooby1744

Quote from: bobrk1 on November 16, 2023, 04:45:06 PMgoing  to  try  the  fangs, but the  buffering  is hitting  my  helmet  and  shaking  it drives  me  crazy  on the  highway .
Look at a Clearview shield with the recurve.

Robb1178

I have a 17" windshield on my heritage and I don't get any buffeting
03 Heritage Softail 95" Zippers Muscle, Tmax, 51mm HPI T/B , D&D Fatcat 2/1

jmorton10

I went through this for years.

My solution now is wear a top end FF helmet & leave the WS off lol 😂

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

bobrk1

thanks  everyone  I'm  looking  at  the  Clearview  windshield  and  you  can  get  it  with  a  vent  as well  as  the  flip at the  top, has anyone  got  it with  the  vent how  does  it  work , I  also  see that  you  can  get  it  down  low or up higher  wondering  how  it  works . thanks  again 

Inda Win

I'm not familiar with this particular windshield, but I can tell you that the purpose of the vent is not so much for cooling, but to help reduce the low-pressure area behind the windshield, which is the primary cause of the buffeting.  I would definitely get the vent.

bobrk1

yeah  just  wondering  whether  it would  work  better  installed  lower or  higher  on the  windshield .

Jim Bronson

Quote from: bobrk1 on November 21, 2023, 03:39:16 AMthanks  everyone  I'm  looking  at  the  Clearview  windshield  and  you  can  get  it  with  a  vent  as well  as  the  flip at the  top, has anyone  got  it with  the  vent how  does  it  work , I  also  see that  you  can  get  it  down  low or up higher  wondering  how  it  works . thanks  again 
I have a Clearview with the vent on my 2013 Dyna, and it works great. I can't tell you whether the vent makes a lot of difference versus no vent, but I'm sure glad I ordered the vent. Keep in mind Clearview doesn't sell hardware, so you'll need to transfer the plastic to your own hardware. I have found that buffeting is partially related to prevailing wind. If I ride down a road and then turn around and ride back in the opposite direction at the same speed, the buffeting is different. It works well enough that I can't imagine riding without it.

bobrk1

hey Jim where  is the  vent located  on  your  shield, does  it  blow in your  face ,does  it  close  what  did  you  notice  if you  closed  it? thanks 

SoftailDave

Just an alternate suggestion. You say you wear a helmet, does it have a visor on it? A number of years ago I bought a new helmet that had a removable visor on it. On my first ride with it I couldn't stand the wind buffeting. I pulled over and removed the visor. It made a huge difference.

tommy g

Quote from: SoftailDave on December 30, 2023, 11:14:22 AMJust an alternate suggestion. You say you wear a helmet, does it have a visor on it? A number of years ago I bought a new helmet that had a removable visor on it. On my first ride with it I couldn't stand the wind buffeting. I pulled over and removed the visor. It made a huge difference.
I've had helmets I couldnt wear because of noise and buffetting. On my 09 Heritage I have the fork fangs and a Freedom shield with a recurve, nice and quiet blastin down the highway.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

Jim Bronson

Quote from: bobrk1 on November 23, 2023, 12:25:38 PMhey Jim where  is the  vent located  on  your  shield, does  it  blow in your  face ,does  it  close  what  did  you  notice  if you  closed  it? thanks 
Sorry, I haven't been following this thread. The vent is located just above the cross brace, as shown in the Clearshield web page photo. I wear a FF helmet, so I wouldn't feel any air blowing in my face. Most of the time I don't notice much difference with it open or closed, but when there is a lot of ambient wind, I do notice a reduction in buffeting with it open about halfway.

Tollbooth

When HD developed the Rushmore fairing my 2016 was buffiting and uncomfortable at any speed. I tried every loaner windshield from the dealer with very little results. I,m 5ft 8in.
The klockwerks was best but not perfect with the 8 inch. I bought the 10 inch and very carefully cut the bottom off to put those wings lowered down to the fairing. It works! Have told the parts guy,(Who knows Klock). Maybe it could help others. Been 7 years, Klock makes good shields.
Tollbooth

bobrk1

i ordered the clearview with the vent the company is waiting on vents right now hopefully i get it for spring snowing right now lol

Jim Bronson

Congrats. I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.