Simon Motorsports Back-Cut Transmission Services and Set-Up

Started by Ohio HD, November 17, 2023, 03:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

I spoke with Andy Simon Sr. today, he's a super nice guy, and really passionate about HD's and racing of course. I bet we spoke for about 30 or 40 minutes. Some of the time was about the transmission I'm sending him, and the rest of the time was just talking about the industry and things in general.

This video he speaks about his transmission service for OEM HD six speeds. He told me today that he runs a stock HD transmission in his race bike, but of course with his modifications. That's a 400 HP bike that he went 7.64 ET @ 188.36 MPH at Rockingham last month. Simon Motorsports has the worlds fastest bagger.

turboprop

Not sure who was doing it first but the Simon back cut has been the gold standard for many many years.

I have watched Andy dial in and weld a cam on an XL based prostock bike in the pits. Pretty impressive. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

He definitely knows a thing or two, and all by hands on experience. I'm having him put the kitchen sink in the gearbox.

FSG

Ohio HD

1 down. I rode a Suzuki street bike when I was 16 or 17 years old that had a N down transmission. That has no place on the street.   

Deye76

One of the smartest guys in Harley Davidson innovation. Glad to see Andy and his son with their own shop. He made at least one guy who owned a shop look good, and didn't get the credit he deserved.
The transmissions in M8 softails are not robust by any stretch, even for mild builds, having Simon Motorsports do your trans is a good idea.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

HighLiner

CarlosGGodfrog

Quote from: HighLiner on November 18, 2023, 07:13:19 PMI love my Baker N-1
So do I, I fabed up a bell crank, so my 5 speed pattern is N up and 5 down. N12345 I like toeing the upshift.

98s1lightning

400hp jeeeeeez!!!!!

I know the nitro goes 1000hp but is the 400 on race gasoline? Whats the displacement on that engine.

Ohio HD

This is a video from two years ago when Andy broke into the seven second world. 68 years old then, and just acts like he was born on that bike. Check out that launch.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Deye76 on November 18, 2023, 06:17:29 AMOne of the smartest guys in Harley Davidson innovation. Glad to see Andy and his son with their own shop. He made at least one guy who owned a shop look good, and didn't get the credit he deserved.
The transmissions in M8 softails are not robust by any stretch, even for mild builds, having Simon Motorsports do your trans is a good idea.

Andy will have mine tomorrow, I shipped it Monday. I have no doubt that he'll do a great job with it. One of the things I like most about him is he uses the same transmission that we use, and knows what works and what doesn't. I also like that he goes after root causes and creates a solution for it.

JSD

Andy knows his stuff . Any one used Short Block Charlie ?

Buglet

N down is no different then left and right shifter or hand shifter. Like Andy says you need CS. I now of a guy that has a and hand shifter trans that hook to a foot shift, that one you better pay attention when shifting.

Ohio HD

Ohio HD

I spoke with Andy today, he's shipping my transmission back. I may see it Friday, or Monday. When it gets here I'll put some photos up of the transmission, the parts I bought and the work that was performed.

Ohio HD

The transmission arrived in one piece today. Clean as a whistle and oiled up. This is a 2013 from a CVO that had only 2,200 miles on it. So it was in like new condition.

Below are photos of the billet trapdoor that Andy makes. This looks really stout and capable of handling more power than I'll be able to throw at it. He uses the updated shaft bearings, 8970A as they were tightened up by Harley Davidson for the 2012 model year to have a tighter radial tolerance. My 2008 transmission with a 124" in front of it, I can oscillate the clutch lever by almost 1/4" when I jab the throttle.

The next couple of photos are the back cut that Andy puts on the dog rings for 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th gears. The 3rd and 4th gears, the gears are cut because they have a pocket ring and that accepts the dogs of the 3rd and 4th gear. Same thing only reversed for those two gears.

These show the transmission in each gear, you can see that the billet shift drum that Andy makes is adjusted to push the dog rings all the way into the gear. 100% engagement. For 3rd and 4th the pocket ring is engaged to each of those gears, also is 100 engaged.
These photos are neutral through sixth gear.

All of the parts are polished as you can see. He also hones the shift fork bores so that they slide on the two shafts effortlessly. This should feel much better and perform much better than the OEM box does. He's addressed the short comings and made solutions for them. Turn around time was really fast as well, about two weeks and that was through Thanksgiving. Andy will take the time to talk to you, he wants to know what you're building and will give his input on how he can best help you. For me the kitchen sink made sense, and looks really top shelf.

Also note the Red Heavy Shockproof. I run that anyway in my bikes, and this gear box will be no exception.

98s1lightning

Very nice, thanks for sharing and taking the time to post the pics/info

JSD

Ohio HD

I forgot to mention. Andy sells brand new HD six speed transmissions and will customize them with any of his services and parts. Set up for either Twin Cam or M8. 

hattitude

I never thought I would ever say this but.... 

That is one beautiful transmission...   :SM:

FLSTFIDave

That transmission looks good, thanks for the pictures.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

HighLiner

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 08, 2023, 06:47:14 PMI forgot to mention. Andy sells brand new HD six speed transmissions and will customize them with any of his services and parts. Set up for either Twin Cam or M8. 

Will he only service new units?

Ohio HD

Quote from: HighLiner on December 11, 2023, 07:44:20 PMWill he only service new units?

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 08, 2023, 02:04:27 PMThe transmission arrived in one piece today. Clean as a whistle and oiled up. This is a 2013 from a CVO that had only 2,200 miles on it. So it was in like new condition.

No, this one was used. I doubt he'll work on one that's worn out without replacing worn parts.