April 27, 2024, 05:30:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

PV gear ratios, speedo calibration

Started by aharp, November 17, 2023, 06:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aharp

Hey everyone,

I must be doing something wrong as I am having some issues getting a speedo calibrated after a chain final drive change. I know this is a dead horse but this is an out of the box scenario.

Bike is a 2001 FXDXT. It still has the 5 speed, stock primary gearing but with a 24/51 final gearing. The major difference is the bike now has FBW fuel injection and a 2008-2009 touring map. Knowing the trans gear ratios would be different, I copied them from an 06 touring map.

I have updated the map to the latest from PV and noticed under "gear" where Speedometer Calibration is located it now says (-IGNORED-). It does not say "read only" indicating that it is a non adjustable table. I can change the pulses but the problem is that no matter how much I go up or down with the pulses the speedo does not seem to adjust. Anyone having any similar issues? I shouldnt have to recalculate any trans gear ratios unless I changed the primary ratio, correct?

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

kd

Your 2008-09 map i9s looking for 6 speed gears and your feeding it 5.  Each 5 speed gear is a different ratio than it's sister gear in the 6 speed.  Look up the gear ratios for each gear of the model of 5 speed you have and compare them to the 2008-09 ratios and you will see the ratio spacing is different.  That will have to be taken into consideration as well as the final ratio and adjusted to match.
KD

rigidthumper

May be easier to use Quick Tune to edit the VSS pulses. Should like somewhere around 2000 to 2012 with stock 5 speed and 24/51 combo
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

aharp

Quote from: kd on November 17, 2023, 07:01:29 PMYour 2008-09 map i9s looking for 6 speed gears and your feeding it 5.  Each 5 speed gear is a different ratio than it's sister gear in the 6 speed.  Look up the gear ratios for each gear of the model of 5 speed you have and compare them to the 2008-09 ratios and you will see the ratio spacing is different.  That will have to be taken into consideration as well as the final ratio and adjusted to match.

Are you saying I may need to split the difference between the 5 speed ratios and 6 speed ratios in the PV? For instance, will the pulses only adjust so far based on the gear ratio inputs? Curiously, the 06 touring ratios I copied from the PV map listed 6 speed ratios (even though it's obviously a 5 speed) so I copied all of them in.

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 18, 2023, 04:35:40 AMMay be easier to use Quick Tune to edit the VSS pulses. Should like somewhere around 2000 to 2012 with stock 5 speed and 24/51 combo
I would love to try that but this power vision has a damaged screen so I have to do it on my dyno through the WinPV program  :crook:

rigidthumper

I have had the same issue- I check the box, edit the value, save the file, and flash it to the ECM. When complete, shut the bike off, wait a minute, then use the PV to extract the "current map:, and check the value- sometimes it takes the first time, sometimes it doesn't...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

aharp

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 18, 2023, 07:04:05 AMI have had the same issue- I check the box, edit the value, save the file, and flash it to the ECM. When complete, shut the bike off, wait a minute, then use the PV to extract the "current map:, and check the value- sometimes it takes the first time, sometimes it doesn't...
Ahh interesting. Thank you I will try that!

aharp

Update: Got it figured out. Stupid me didnt think to mention that the speedo is an aftermarket Koso gauge with built in tach and I had problems in the past getting the PV flashes to go so I have to unplug it. Guess what can be calibrated on the bike? the speedo  :doh:  Curious that the pulses did not change anything no matter what I did though. Oh well. Thanks for the help everyone.