April 27, 2024, 07:24:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Inner primary bearing?

Started by Reddog74usa, November 17, 2023, 07:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

Going over a 75 FXE and found the inner primary bearing was in bad shape so I need to replace it. Since it's a 75 it has the thinner version of the bearing. I remember something about using a later model shovel bearing as they are thicker but it has to be sealed on one side as you cannot use the rubber seal if you go to the thicker. Anyone know what options there are as in can I use the later bearings and if so what size can I use? the skinny, medium or thickest bearing as I believe they had three over the years and can you still use the rubber seal or not with those bigger bearings. This is a one owner bike and it looks like I'm the first one in the driveline components. I'm not talking about the classic bearing wobble in the hole. Thats fine, I'm talking about the height of the bearing as it sits in the hole.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

xlfan

Koyo EE9 2RS is a sealed wider bearing that I have used. I think BDL  also offer a wider sealed bearing for dry running closed shovel primaries with belt.   

Reddog74usa

Thanks XL, I am running a sealed primary with a Rivera pro Clutch and around 12 onces of ATF for lubrication. I have a NOS bearing for the 79 and later bikes I will use and was just looking for some clarity on what bearings would be the best option. Don't think I'm going wrong using the oem bearing.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

billbuilds

Check out the MRC R16ZZ.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

FZappa

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it's real close to a question I have.  I have a 82 FXE with a Cal Products drag racing inner primary. The trans shaft bearing moves back and forth in the hole in the inner primary. Should the outer race be non moving? Is this bearing supposed to be a press fit? This is a sealed bearing with a seal on the backside.  Thanks for your help.

xlfan

Not necessarily a press fit, but definitely non moving and tight fit. Isn't there a retaining ring or two to keep the outer race in place in that Cal inner?

JSD

Bearing size 2" od 1" id x 1/2" wide sealed. Some remove inner shield . 

FZappa

Thanks for the help.  Bearing is numbered R16RS and mics 2od 1id And 1/2 thick.  There are no grooves in the bore hole for a clip.  With my rudimentary micrometer, I measure just under 2" id towards the outer edge of the hole in the primary. It's a somewhat tight fit when pushed all the way in but I was still able to press it out with my thumbs. Do they make slightly oversized od bearings?

ghostrider

In a situation like that, which isn't uncommon, I usually stake the area where the bearing sits.  Take a punch and make a few dimples in the aluminum for the bearing to grab and then use loktite too when pressing the new bearing in. 

Anyone know if there is any chance of keeping the primary sealed, if using a rubber shielded bearing and no seal??  I've got a custom thing on the go with a Cal products inner and a 5 in 4 trans and there is no room for a seal.

FZappa

That sounds like the plan Ghost.  I see no scoring which would indicate the outer race rotating in the primary bearing hole.  The inner race is also free to spin on the main shaft but is a tight fit.  Out of curiosity, on the cal products inner you have, does it have circlip grooves? I think I'm gonna use a new bearing and seal as I'm gonna run the primary wet.

Thanks again for your help.

76shuvlinoff

Cal Products inner here too and yes the bearing had slip fit on the OD. I used Locktite green bearing and sleeve retainer on my outer bearing race. It's was fine for 18 years then I replaced the bearing just because I was in there.   FYI I chose a Japanese bearing vs a Chinese bearing but that's just me.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

ghostrider

Quote from: Brianowski on November 23, 2023, 05:51:22 PMThat sounds like the plan Ghost.  I see no scoring which would indicate the outer race rotating in the primary bearing hole.  The inner race is also free to spin on the main shaft but is a tight fit.  Out of curiosity, on the cal products inner you have, does it have circlip grooves? I think I'm gonna use a new bearing and seal as I'm gonna run the primary wet.

Thanks again for your help.

No there aren't any grooves for retaining rings on my Cal products inner.