April 27, 2024, 08:11:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 Intake

Started by roadkingdresser, November 28, 2023, 03:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

November 28, 2023, 03:45:19 AM Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 06:53:49 AM by Coyote
I see a lot of these aluminum intakes from china for the M8's. Anybody use one of these and what is the opinion on them?
roadkingdresser

pauly

Hi,

I just replaced my silly plastic m8 inlet manifold with a se 55mm one. Now I feel comfortable riding in remote and hot areas. I wouldn't risk the cheap ones though, as a minor tolerance change could have big consequences. Just my opinion that saving a hundred bucks or whatever may not be worth it in the long run.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: roadkingdresser on November 28, 2023, 03:45:19 AMI see a lot of these aluminum intakes from china for the M8's. Anybody use one of these and what is the opinion on them?

roadkingdresser

I hear what you're saying,was just curious if anybody had used one. I just decatted the head pipe so that will hopefully let it run a little cooler.
roadkingdresser

scott7d

My 2020 CVO Road Glide has 145,000 miles with the stock "cheap" plastic unit. No issues at all even with riding in some very nasty conditions. The bike is just a mild stage II.

Are the stock units known to have an actual problem or is going from plastic to metal just a "peace of mind" thing?
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

pauly

Hi Scott,

Heaps of evidence that the plastic manifolds can cause leakage issues through high temperature etc. I asked a similar question on this forum which prompted me to just put the SE one in and forget about it.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: scott7d on December 01, 2023, 02:43:00 PMMy 2020 CVO Road Glide has 145,000 miles with the stock "cheap" plastic unit. No issues at all even with riding in some very nasty conditions. The bike is just a mild stage II.

Are the stock units known to have an actual problem or is going from plastic to metal just a "peace of mind" thing?

pauly

I forgot to link to the thread where I asked a similar question... here it is

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,121009.0.html

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: pauly on December 01, 2023, 04:43:24 AMHi,

I just replaced my silly plastic m8 inlet manifold with a se 55mm one. Now I feel comfortable riding in remote and hot areas. I wouldn't risk the cheap ones though, as a minor tolerance change could have big consequences. Just my opinion that saving a hundred bucks or whatever may not be worth it in the long run.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: roadkingdresser on November 28, 2023, 03:45:19 AMI see a lot of these aluminum intakes from china for the M8's. Anybody use one of these and what is the opinion on them?

scott7d

Quote from: pauly on December 01, 2023, 08:04:05 PMHi Scott,

Heaps of evidence that the plastic manifolds can cause leakage issues through high temperature etc. I asked a similar question on this forum which prompted me to just put the SE one in and forget about it.

Thanks
Pauly

Got it, thanks for posting that. I'll consider myself lucky then!
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

pauly

We were just on a run, and, due to an accident, we were forced to spend 30 minutes in 33.5 degrees c, virtually standing still (was so slow that I had to continually stop as the traffic was too slow to keep my feet on the boards). While idling, I had concerns about that rotten catalytic converter next to my right leg (#-+=( it was HOT), but no concerns about my metal inlet manifold.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: scott7d on December 04, 2023, 03:41:40 PM
Quote from: pauly on December 01, 2023, 08:04:05 PMHi Scott,

Heaps of evidence that the plastic manifolds can cause leakage issues through high temperature etc. I asked a similar question about on this forum which prompted me to just put the SE one in and forget about it.

Thanks
Pauly

Got it, thanks for posting that. I'll consider myself lucky then!

truckrglenn

On my 18' Fatboy I used the S&S manifold. I now have a 17' RGS and decided to go cheap and bought the NICECNC cast aluminum manifold. The hole for the front sensor was not tapped properly. Almost like the tap wobbled as in started, then straightened itself out. With the sensor in place, the OEM screw would not bite. Removing the sensor and the screw would bite about half way into the hole. I sent in back and will again go with the S&S manifold.