April 28, 2024, 11:41:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Baffle removal

Started by SoftailDave, December 09, 2023, 06:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoftailDave

I recently re-installed the stock short fishtail exhaust and mufflers on my Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC. I did this to meet the requirements to qualify for vintage status. I was surprised at how quiet these mufflers are. I would like to remove the baffles but I don't see any screws holding them in.
Has anyone here been successful in removing or altering these?

rigidthumper

Post a pic- IIRC, the baffles were welded in.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

We would use a 1 1/4" hole saw (if I remember right) on an extension and drill out the center cap in the baffle. It has a bit of rumble, let's the exhaust flow a little better, but not an obnoxious rasp like a fully removed baffle will be.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JW113

Hoss is spot on. I did it both ways on my '91. Started out with the hole, made is a little louder but not obnoxiously so. Then I used a hole saw and completely removed the baffle. Amazing thing was, at idle, it was very quiet. But give it any throttle and it got loud real quick. Full throttle would wake the dead. I eventually took the baffles, opened up the holes in them to about double or more their size, and welded them back in. Ended up about the same dB as aftermarket slip-ons, definitely louder than stock but not a cop magnet.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

HogMike

I used a step bit. Started out with a smaller hole in the baffle plate and made it a little bit bigger until I got the sound I liked.

:agree:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

SoftailDave

Am I correct in assuming you are removing the muffler and drilling from the header end rather than the tail end?

HogMike

Quote from: SoftailDave on December 09, 2023, 02:42:18 PMAm I correct in assuming you are removing the muffler and drilling from the header end rather than the tail end?

Depends what end is closer to the disk
Last two I did was from the exit end while still on the bike.
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

Picture

You cannot see attachments on this board.

I did it mostly for the easy sound and keeping my low end torque where I use it.
They have a nice mellow sound until I open it up.

Easy to do.

HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

Quote from: SoftailDave on December 09, 2023, 02:42:18 PMAm I correct in assuming you are removing the muffler and drilling from the header end rather than the tail end?

We always drilled them from the tail end while mounted on the bike.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

SoftailDave

Thanks everyone! Drilling will have to wait until we return home where I have my drill and drill bits.