Lower tree pinch bolts torque spec for 1999 touring

Started by billbuilds, December 11, 2023, 02:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

The 1999 FLT models factory SM makes no mention of the torque spec for the pinch bolts on the lower triple tree. What spec do you use?  Thanks, Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Ohio HD

I don't know how large that bolt is, does this sound right?

Fugawee

My 99' FLT Manual appears to have gone on Vacation.
My 1998 and 2000 Manuals both say 40 ft. lbs.

FSG

==========================================================

Fugawee

Well now Bill...I guess that the choice is Yours.  35, or 40 ft. lbs.
Decisions, decisions.

billbuilds

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 11, 2023, 03:19:57 PMI don't know how large that bolt is, does this sound right?

OEM p/n 4752 is a 7/16-14 X 1-1/4" grade 8 bolt. I should have mentioned that up front.

Quote from: Fugawee on December 11, 2023, 04:51:34 PMWell now Bill...I guess that the choice is Yours.  35, or 40 ft. lbs.
Decisions, decisions.

Sure is Fug and if I take into account the info that FSG provided  :up:  it's an even larger range (30-40 ft lb). I'll probably go for the middle number. Was pretty mild yesterday morning after the rain stopped and I was dinking around with the fallaway on my 99 FLHR.

Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Fugawee

Bill...just in case You may want to double-check Your Manual, or maybe something You missed while looking for the Torque Specs, in My Manuals (which are HD) it is found in the Front Forks Section under Assembly/Installation.

Buglet

I would check your hardware, some of the early ones came with grade 5 and the later one came with grade 8. Three lines or five lines then you can figure your torque. If it has grade 5 I would change them grade 8. I seen a lot of the ones that came with grade 5 with snap bolts. 

smoserx1

PN 4752 is used on 98, 99 and 2000 touring models, and is a grade 8 bolt.  I would 40 ft lbs, and you are correct, the specification is not in the manual as far as I can tell.