April 27, 2024, 02:50:48 PM

News:

Starting bike in winter in garage?

Started by itsafatboy, December 12, 2023, 09:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsafatboy

So how bad is it to start bike and let run for few minutes in the winter time , but not go ride sometimes want to start for guests but dont want to hurts bike since its not getting all the way up to temp.

kd

If the engine does not reach operating temperature for a reasonable period of time there will be a condensation build-up in the crankcase and heads.  The extended running time allows the condensation to vaporize and evacuate the engine in the venting process.  If you have ever seen the sludge in an automotive valve cover from a vehicle subjected to short trips, that's what you will be accumulating.  This sludge is very acidic and capable of etching the crank pin and rollers as well as many other components. 
KD

smoserx1

No need to crank it up in the garage to impress your house guests.  If you want to crank it up then go for a ride.

Hossamania

It's a terrible practice, for the reasons mentioned.
Having said that, mine has occasionally been started for guests while in winter storage. Even revved up a bit while too cold. On a carb bike, no less. (Watch this!)
Also got a couple visits from the local cops telling me to knock it off since it was after midnight.
So, don't do that.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FSG

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Hossamania on December 12, 2023, 11:35:35 AMIt's a terrible practice, for the reasons mentioned.
Having said that, mine has occasionally been started for guests while in winter storage. Even revved up a bit while too cold. On a carb bike, no less. (Watch this!)
Also got a couple visits from the local cops telling me to knock it off since it was after midnight.
So, don't do that.
:agree: If they want to hear it, play them a video of your last ride -- sound and pictures too.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

speedzter

Yes it's a bad practice, will it kill your motor, no !
Just don't run it for long, and
Not often .

billbuilds

Resist the temptation... your motor will appreciate it.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

itsafatboy

Thanks i figured i was going to get a big NO so no starting , i would ride but oregon raid and i dont start out in rain

fidel

just a good reason to open it and new piston  crank cam clutch nothing crazy