HD's Newest Six Speed Shift Drum and Simon Motorsports Shift Drum

Started by Ohio HD, December 12, 2023, 09:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

When I spoke with Andy last he mentioned he was working on some new videos. This one is doing a high view comparison of the new HD shift drum and what he's offering.

I wasn't aware that the new CVO bikes have an actual switch reading the position of the shift drum to give the gear in use. My guess is all HD six speeds will end up with that shift drum. 

FSG

HogMike

Case trap door

You cannot see attachments on this board.
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Ohio HD

I remember that photo Mike. I think at the time I saw it we (at least I was) still speculating on what will go there in the trap door.

With VVT it makes sense that the need for direct input as to the gear you're in is needed.

HogMike

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 12, 2023, 03:14:25 PMI remember that photo Mike. I think at the time I saw it we (at least I was) still speculating on what will go there in the trap door.

With VVT it makes sense that the need for direct input as to the gear you're in is needed.

We knew about the VVT, just couldn't figure out the hole as we had nothing to see for the cover.
Speculation was maybe a reverse lockout or gear indicator like Indian to show a gear with clutch pulled in, or...?

Now we know. LOL
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

HOGMIKE
SoCal

FLSTFIDave

The gear indicator is very nice on the VVT engine transmission.  It shows what gear you are in at all times.

My 2023 CVO RG is the easiest to find neutral big twin I have ever had. 98% of the time you find it first try.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

HogMike

Quote from: FLSTFIDave on December 13, 2023, 04:46:51 AMThe gear indicator is very nice on the VVT engine transmission.  It shows what gear you are in at all times.

My 2023 CVO RG is the easiest to find neutral big twin I have ever had. 98% of the time you find it first try.

I find it interesting how long it takes HD to fix the simplest of things on their transmissions (and other parts also!).

My baker OD6 was purchased before HD offered a 6 speed on their bikes for my EVO bagger. That gearbox has been perfect ever since. Shifts nice and smooth, neutral easy to find at a stoplight. Quiet, overdrive.
The Baker grudge box on my 2019 CVO is also better than the stock unit, stronger at least! LOL. I've noticed that it's a little noisier than the OD6 and the stock unit but I kind of like the gear whine.
Now, if HD could make a transmission like the other manufacturers THAT would put them in th 21st century!

JMHO, of course. :nix:

HOGMIKE
SoCal

Deye76

Been riding Harley's for 50+ years, as long as the clutch is adjusted correctly, never had a problem finding neutral.
Shifting and downshifting another story with my M8 trans. As Andy says in the video, the drum only engages the dogs part way, which I suspect was my problem when under warranty my shift drum, dogs, and bearings etc. were replaced at 5800 miles. Even then finding neutral was not a problem. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Curious why anyone thinks they need a gear indicator?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

hrdtail78

As a rider I don't.  As one that works in the ECU with boost per gear, traction control, power man, 2 stage power adders, time of shift kill per gear.......  I understand.  I don't have time for the ECU to do RPM vs Trans gear speed.
Semper Fi

Deye76

Quote from: turboprop on December 13, 2023, 10:51:22 AMCurious why anyone thinks they need a gear indicator?

For sure didn't need one with the old 4 speeds, that gap between 2nd and 3rd was enough that even the guy next to you knew what gear you were in.  :hyst:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

FLSTFIDave

Quote from: turboprop on December 13, 2023, 10:51:22 AMCurious why anyone thinks they need a gear indicator?
I do not need it, have rode for years with out it.  That said it is nice to have.

The VVT needs the gear indicator along with RPM and several other things to correctly adjust the cam phaser.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

FSG

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 12, 2023, 09:43:34 AMMy guess is all HD six speeds will end up with that shift drum. 

as per M1611 .....  to be found in the Section .....