April 27, 2024, 10:51:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stock Six Speed Cast Trap Door vs. Billet Aluminum

Started by Ohio HD, December 13, 2023, 01:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

This video goes along with the Simon Motorsports transmission upgrades. Andy speaks to why he makes the billet trap door and what the stock door flexing can hurt in the gearbox.

turboprop

Smart people pay attention when a champion pro-stock racer speaks. Would love to see him do a video on TC lifters.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

Ohio HD

December 13, 2023, 02:14:14 PM #3 Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 02:31:21 PM by Ohio HD
Baker also sells a trap door, and I think Jim's does too. The Baker unit is about $100 more expensive than the door from Simon Motorsports. The baker unit does come with hardware and some gaskets.

One thing Andy said to me was he uses the OEM style bearing for a reason. When on the road travelling, and if you have a bearing fail, any HD dealer should have them in stock.

The Baker unit uses a wider bearing, and isn't going to be readily available. And he knew that the 8970A bearing was an upgrade with a tighter tolerance over the 8970 bearing. 

FXDBI

Yes Jims makes a kit with a billet back door and solid shifter fork shafts. I installed one 2 years ago when I went thru my own transmission. Was a very noticeable difference.  Bob

boooby1744

That's top tier,a Ceramic hybrid bearing wouldn't hurt.