April 28, 2024, 10:59:44 AM

News:

fuel gauge

Started by roadkingdresser, December 16, 2023, 01:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Got a 2018 road glide special and the fuel gauge says 1/4 tank. Filled witt with gas still says 1/4 tank. Any ideas?
roadkingdresser

nibroc

bad gauge or not grounded correctly

:scoot:

roadkingdresser

Don't suppose you could tell me where the ground would be?
roadkingdresser

14GuineaPig

I have a 2014 FLHTK and the gas gauge does not move, after filling it, until the bike is straight up and off the kick (jiffy) stand.  It can sit here running, while on the kickstand and the gauge will read the same as it read prior to filling.

smoserx1

I would guess bad sending unit or float is stuck, maybe tangled from wires or tubing of the fuel pump.

Fugawee

As far as the Ground goes...You may want to consider popping off the Outer Fairing.
The Connector going to the Fuel Gauge should have a Black/Green Wire on it which is Ground.
Using a Volt/Ohm Meter You can look for Ground on the Pin.
You can also do that with a with a Lighted Test Probe.  Just put the Clip on something with 12 Volts.
Looking for Ground with the Test Probe make sure that it is connected to Voltage.
Looking for Voltage with the Test Probe make sure it is on a known Ground.
If the Light on the Probe illuminates...so far, so good for whatever You may be troubleshooting.
I prefer to check Issues with the Test Probe first...then verify the results with a Volt/Ohm Meter.
But that choice is Yours.
Check the other Wires as well at the Connector to the Gauge for whatever.
The Sending Unit, or Float certainly could be the problem also.
One thing at a time.

roadkingdresser

Thanks for the advice, tomorrow or the next couple days i'll be checking it out.
roadkingdresser