April 27, 2024, 06:14:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Shovelhead lifter blocks aftermarket options

Started by flhs90, December 17, 2023, 04:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

Thinking ahead when the time comes to replace the tappet rollers and mic the tappet block bores for clearance specs have any of you any experience with the fit and quality of the Drag, Dixie, or other Shovelhead/Panhead replacement tappet blocks either chrome or factory black. I know that I could have the oroginal blocks bored to size and purchase oversize tappets. Many ways to skin a cat as you all know.
No concerns at this time but the Cone Shovel is my baby and it is Christmas time after all. At this time running the oem HD hydraulic insers and the skinny Andrew's adjustables and all is good.  :fish:
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

turboprop

No experience with shovel blocks from Drag and never heard of Dixie but I do have some experience with honing (not boring) the oem blocks for oversize lifters. IME, honing is the way to go as long as it is done by a knowledgable machinist. Not saying the blocks from Drag are not sized correctly, but there is no way they can be as precise as having a machinist mic each lifter and hone each hole for a precise fit. Plus I think the iron used in the oem blocks is superior to anything coming out of Drag today.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

flhs90

Thanks Turboprop,
Sounds like keeping my oem blocks and going up one size on the tappet bodies will be one good option. No need to tear it down at this time. Afaik the tappet bodies are from the factory, rollers checked good when last in cam chest.

JW113

Carefully mic'ing them of course is the starting place, but frankly, I'd be surprised if they need honed. Unlike EVO and later blocks, them's cast iron. As in, "wears like iron". Unless the bike was poorly maintained and ran for long periods with dirty oil, the tappet blocks are probably fine.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

JSD

Daytona Japan makes good lifter blocks

flhs90

Thanks JW and JSD. I know there are some very knowledgeable shovel wrenches lurking here and help was on the way.
For now the FLH motor is good to go; :chop:  :chop:  just  looking down the road as it is a hoot and a holler to ride and enjoy.

ghostrider

I have a set of Dixie ones here,  made in Japan.  Chrome is nice and the lifter fit is good. 

flhs90

Sifton Cobra 112, mild .440 lift, works with solids or hydraulics.

98s1lightning

Personally I'd upgrade away from stock shovel type hydraulic lifter design and go with something like S&S or Velva Touch, have them fitted to your OEM blocks if they are compatible. 

Or buy a complete set from Velva Touch, new lifters fitted to his new blocks by him.

flhs90

98s1 Lightninng:
Thanks Velva Touch and S and S top shelf parts. Appreciate everyone's input, at this time Murphy's if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind. I do have a Shovel fund started.

kd

I'm thinkin that jar should at least be a jug.  (or like my extra large coffee can) :teeth:
KD