April 28, 2024, 04:19:00 AM

News:

flhr 1996 speedometer issues

Started by farfons, December 19, 2023, 12:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farfons

Hi, i'm new in the forum, i've a problem with my flhr 96 speedometer. It doesn't start from zero but approx from 40 km/h as soon as you turn the key, same issue powering up on the bench out from the bike. The fact that on the bench it shows the issue make me think that isn't a vss issue. Have you experienced a similar problem? Can you suggest me something? thanks

Fugawee

Is the Speedometer at Zero when the Bike is off?
You may want to try removing and cleaning the Speed Sensor, and the Electrical Connectors and see if that does anything for You.
The Speed Sensor itself may need to be replaced, or maybe the Speedometer.

Coyote

Quote from: farfons on December 19, 2023, 12:18:27 AMHi, i'm new in the forum, i've a problem with my flhr 96 speedometer. It doesn't start from zero but approx from 40 km/h as soon as you turn the key, same issue powering up on the bench out from the bike. The fact that on the bench it shows the issue make me think that isn't a vss issue. Have you experienced a similar problem? Can you suggest me something? thanks

:up:

Fugawee

Sorry about the Sensor suggestion...hadn't had Coffee yet.

kd

I believe you have a wheel driven speedo drive?  If so it sounds like the reostat may be hung up and not returning.  It's possible the front wheel was reinstalled with the lock dogs off index with the slots and damaged the case.  It also may be dirt or the result of pressure washing it. 

At any rate, removing the front wheel, inspecting for damage, cleaning and lubing may be in order.  When the wheel is off and the drive is in hand, turn the key on and see if it still reads high.  Manipulate, clean and lube if no case damage is noted and watch to see if it cures it.
KD

14Frisco

Quote from: kd on December 19, 2023, 08:24:40 AMI believe you have a wheel driven speedo drive?

The first year of the Road King, 1994 FLHR, was the first Harley model with electronic speedo. A 1996 FLHR also has an electronic speedo.

kd

Quote from: 14Frisco on December 19, 2023, 11:03:02 AM
Quote from: kd on December 19, 2023, 08:24:40 AMI believe you have a wheel driven speedo drive?

The first year of the Road King, 1994 FLHR, was the first Harley model with electronic speedo. A 1996 FLHR also has an electronic speedo.

:doh:  I have a 98 RKC and an Ultra/  I just checked and the Ultra has the front wheel mechanical but not the RK.  :scratch:  Go figure eh.
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on December 19, 2023, 01:46:48 PM

:doh:  I have a 98 RKC and an Ultra/  I just checked and the Ultra has the front wheel mechanical but not the RK.  :scratch:  Go figure eh.

What the hell? My brother's '96 Heritage had electronic speedo, my '95 Heritage had mechanical. I figured '96 on was all electronic.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on December 19, 2023, 03:10:08 PM
Quote from: kd on December 19, 2023, 01:46:48 PM

What the hell? My brother's '96 Heritage had electronic speedo, my '95 Heritage had mechanical. I figured '96 on was all electronic.

Both of my 98's are numbered anniversary models. (See my Avatar)  I guess the ultra is stone age at least until 1998 and the RK moved ahead to electronics.
KD

smoserx1

QuoteWhat the hell? My brother's '96 Heritage had electronic speedo, my '95 Heritage had mechanical. I figured '96 on was all electronic.

My 99 FLHT has a wheel driven speedometer.  Changed to electronic in 2000.  Road kings got electronic ones years earlier.