April 27, 2024, 06:46:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

A1 Cycles Crankshaft Video

Started by Ohio HD, December 21, 2023, 08:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Looks like Mike Beland is upping his crankshaft rebuilding game. I assume he also can build new cranks as well. I see he also welds after plugging as Darkhorse does.

A1 Cycles FB Crankshaft Video

Deye76

For my money, Darkhorse, or Andy Simon. YMMV
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

biggzed

High quality video. Very nicely done.

Zach

Ohio HD

December 21, 2023, 10:08:43 AM #3 Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 10:17:51 AM by Ohio HD
One thing that he stresses on is the degree of balance accuracy that they strive for. I know from experience that Darkhorse does as well. Two years ago I was calling around to get a better understanding of who offers what as far as crankshaft building.

I won't mention the shops name, but it was a comical conversation. He tried to tell me that he found that unbalanced cranks lasted longer. He also wanted me to buy an SE 4-5/8" crank, have him press it apart, use new Carrillo rods, and he had some used S&S roller bearings he uses because they work better than the new S&S bearings. Tossed that phone number away.... 

I wasn't window shopping I ordered a crank, ultimately from Darkhorse.

topcat3815

Looks like really quality work plus he is close to my location less than an hour away

hrdtail78

High end and new stuff make for better video.  He did a set of 03 wheels for me out of a B engine.  Almost 100,000 and .004 run out.  I didn't like the pinion shaft and wanted new rod bearing at least.  A1 did a great job at a reasonable price for work performed. I'm sure it will last another 100,000.
Semper Fi

blown alcohol

His shop is an hour from me. I am thinking about letting him tune my 95" build early next year.
2013 CVO Ultra

Deye76

Quote from: hrdtail78 on December 22, 2023, 09:03:21 AMHigh end and new stuff make for better video.  He did a set of 03 wheels for me out of a B engine.  Almost 100,000 and .004 run out.  I didn't like the pinion shaft and wanted new rod bearing at least.  A1 did a great job at a reasonable price for work performed. I'm sure it will last another 100,000.
I'd wager Andy Simon did the work.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

JSD

Never Hear any bad reports about A1

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on December 22, 2023, 04:42:42 PM
Quote from: hrdtail78 on December 22, 2023, 09:03:21 AMHigh end and new stuff make for better video.  He did a set of 03 wheels for me out of a B engine.  Almost 100,000 and .004 run out.  I didn't like the pinion shaft and wanted new rod bearing at least.  A1 did a great job at a reasonable price for work performed. I'm sure it will last another 100,000.
I'd wager Andy Simon did the work.

Interesting relationship between Mike and Andy.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

turboprop

Reggie at R&R has been dynamically balancing flywheels for a long time, so has S&S. I have never used either company but like most of us I have heard good things about both companies.

Ohio HD

I spoke with Reggie at R&R, they were on my very short list. He like everyone else at that time didn't have access to Carrillo rods when I was looking. I would have had no issues using his crank.

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 24, 2023, 11:37:09 AMI spoke with Reggie at R&R, they were on my very short list. He like everyone else at that time didn't have access to Carrillo rods when I was looking. I would have had no issues using his crank.

S&S rods are heavy and are probably a significant factor in the decision making progress for many that choose to have a crank built by Darkhorse. It was for me. 

JSD

Turboprop what is weight differences. And did you have your flywheels lightens 

turboprop

No idea what the measured delta between the two rods are. In my uncalibrated hand it feels pretty significant. Have purchased several cranks from Hoban, some lightened, some not and one with additional mass.

JSD