Changing fork lowers from pre 2000 to 00-up dyna lowers on fxr

Started by motorhead_smf, January 04, 2024, 02:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhead_smf

I changed to the 2000 up dual disc lowers on my fxr.  From an earlier post I made talking about this https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,119462.msg1431758.html#msg1431758

All went smoothly except re-installing the brake calipers they do not seem centered on rotors.  The axle seems to be interchangeable but I'm not sure if this is like a hub width thing.  Because I am still running the earlier "mag" wheels.  It seems like I need to either space the calipers in approx 1/4 inch or less or space the rotors out.

Has anybody else ever ran into this issue.  I feel like I can't be the only one to ever encountered this.  I know the calipers are for these lowers and in stock form should not require spacers.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Before and after

You cannot see attachments on this board.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

speedzter

If it helps, a crude measurement from inside disc to disc, which should be the same
as the wheel hub disc mount width, on my '00 FXDX is 4.370"
Between the caliper mounting face is roughly 7.370"

xlfan

Ohio HD

I guess to me the first question is are those caliper mounts putting the calipers in the right place?   

motorhead_smf

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 05, 2024, 07:30:32 PMI guess to me the first question is are those caliper mounts putting the calipers in the right place?   

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 05, 2024, 07:30:32 PMI guess to me the first question is are those caliper mounts putting the calipers in the right place?   

The bottom or ones with adapters are the earlier stock legs.  And those are what I had on.  These required spacers to center.  But they worked fine as long as the pad is in the right spot on the rotor brakes don't care where on the rotor they are.

The new version that I'm wondering about is the top version the aluminum legs not the black.  They are stock calipers on stock legs.  The wheel however is not stock to that year.  That's where I'm wondering if anybody else has done this and whether they spaced the caliper or rotor.

motorhead_smf

Quote from: speedzter on January 05, 2024, 03:21:45 PMIf it helps, a crude measurement from inside disc to disc, which should be the same
as the wheel hub disc mount width, on my '00 FXDX is 4.370"
Between the caliper mounting face is roughly 7.370"

I can check tomorrow thanks for that.  That just may shed some light.

motorhead_smf

Quote from: xlfan on January 05, 2024, 07:00:15 PMIs it just me, or is the rotor dished?

Negative ghostrider.  They are straight rotors.  Maybe tomorrow I can get a pic of where they set on the rotor with and without spacer.

The only thing other than the hub being a slightly different width is the spacing of the triple trees in width possibly.

:scratch:

speedzter

I suspect the earlier wheel hub dimension is the issue.

capn

motorhead_smf

Quote from: capn on January 06, 2024, 05:55:07 AMYou can buy those rotor spacers.

Like specifically for that or just varying width spacers.

I measured mine and they were 4.125 roughly inside rotor dimension.  Which pretty much explains that yes the wheels are slightly wider on the later models.