April 27, 2024, 07:21:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Pushrods

Started by boatdoc, January 05, 2024, 02:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatdoc

Need some pushrod advice.
Replacing the adjustable pushrods in my bike.
I found some S&S Cycle 930-0053 Time-Saver Adjustable Pushrods local and at a good price.
Would these be suitable for a 124, cr 630 cammed twin cam with 110 heads done up for ,650 lift and heavy vavle springs. Sorry don't remember the spring pressure.
Really would like the easy install type like these so i can install with out removing the rocker assembly.
If not these pushrods then which ones?

So being in Canada means the parts selection is usually pretty small and if i do order from the US it ends up costing more than twice the the listed price and takes weeks to get here.
Thanks in advance.

jsachs1

Quote from: boatdoc on January 05, 2024, 02:12:25 PMNeed some pushrod advice.
I found some S&S Cycle 930-0053 Time-Saver Adjustable Pushrods local and at a good price.
Would these be suitable for a 124, cr 630 cammed twin cam with 110 heads done up for ,650 lift and heavy vavle springs. Sorry don't remember the spring pressure.
Really would like the easy install type like these so i can install with out removing the rocker assembly.

So being in Canada means the parts selection is usually pretty small and if i do order from the US it ends up costing more than twice the the listed price and takes weeks to get here.
Thanks in advance.
A little on the heavy side, but they will work fine. :up:

John

turboprop

I am going to disagree with previous responses. High lift and heavy valve springs are not conducive to easy install pushrods. Yeas, they are easy to instal, but they are little more than wet noodles at RPM and offer very little in terms of valve train stability. From your description, your engine doesn't just deserve better, it requires it.

It is winter, wait it out. Lots of good brands with upper level product lines. Smith Bros private labels pushrods for almost every shop that offers (Their pushrods). I bet there is a shop up north that is hawking some Smith Bros pushrods as their own and have decent pricing and lead time. I forget the name of the shop in Edmonton, but there is pretty good shop there that probably has a set in stock.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

turboprop

George Welch at Welch's Custom Cycles in Edmonton. I bet he has them or something similar (Not EZ install) in stock, if not he could probably get them faster than you on your own.

Welch's

wfolarry

Quote from: boatdoc on January 05, 2024, 02:12:25 PMNeed some pushrod advice.
Thanks in advance.

They'll be fine.  :up:

Tacocaster

Boatdoc, yet another good source if you're a Canadian East Coaster is Merch Motors in Moncton, NB. If you've been around HD's long enough you'll easily remember the high performance Merch Engines from a few years back.

Top shelf HD Performance goodies and advice is available therein. Give Gerry a call @ 506-383-2888.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

nibroc

itsafatboy

Smith brothers pushrods , make the strongest quick install , they also make fueling pushrods and for others ,

pushrods.net

boatdoc

Pushrod dilemma solved.
The pushrods i had in the bike were "Fuel Moto" branded Smith Bros.
3 of them were bent, one a bit more than the others. The lifter end and threaded adjusting section was where the deflection happened.
I guess high rpm and coil bind can do funny things eh.
And yes heads are properly set up now and a cam with less lift, went from S&S 640 to CR630.
Smith Bros is willing to sell me the lifter end , threaded adjustable section and new lock nuts.
Shout out to Smith Bros for great customer service!

FSG

pix, pix, pix   :SM:

have you drilled out the top of the pushrod tubes to 5/8"

boatdoc

Yes top tubes have been drillied out and collony lower tubes for better access for adjustment.

JSD

As FSG asked pictures please 

turboprop

Quote from: boatdoc on January 09, 2024, 02:37:51 PMPushrod dilemma solved.
The pushrods i had in the bike were "Fuel Moto" branded Smith Bros.
3 of them were bent, one a bit more than the others. The lifter end and threaded adjusting section was where the deflection happened.
I guess high rpm and coil bind can do funny things eh.
And yes heads are properly set up now and a cam with less lift, went from S&S 640 to CR630.
Smith Bros is willing to sell me the lifter end , threaded adjustable section and new lock nuts.
Shout out to Smith Bros for great customer service!

I love happy endings.

kd

January 10, 2024, 07:10:13 AM #13 Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 07:17:29 AM by kd
Reread response #3 for some good info.  Your cam change is only a .010 lift difference. (.0165 with the OEM rocker ratio included)  If coil bind was your issue or heavy spring weight or excessive rpm and all are not corrected, I would expect you may have a repeat performance.  The issue in post #3 is on point and related to the lack of rigidity (or less rigidity) when the longer threaded portion is used.  The suggestion to use non quick change adjustable with the longer body resolves that risk somewhat (but not completely).  I suspect you may still find the internal threaded portion of your present quick change version may be tweaked and the new adjusters may still have a deflection issue.  If you aren't going to be swapping cams or lifters or for any reason there will be a constant repetition of removing the pushrods, You may be better off taking this opportunity to replace them with a more substantial SB adjustable offering. BTW, you shouldn't have to remove the rockers, just loosening them off should allow a collapsed "adjustable" in.  Or you may be OK with being less abusive in your riding style.  :teeth:  You also may notice the adjustable only version are available as stronger but are less expensive than the quick change you are using.
KD

turboprop

Caution: Thread Drift

If this is a TC engine, then most adjustable pushrods are inherently 'EZ Install'. Unlike the Evo and the engines before it, the TC engine allows the lifter covers to be removed without having to raise it and inch or so off the deck. This allows the  adjustable (Non EZ install) pushrods and lifter cover to be slid into place without touching anything in the rocker boxes.

Ohio HD

January 10, 2024, 10:52:19 AM #15 Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 10:56:21 AM by Ohio HD
Smith Brothers will take care of you. Also just FYI Feuling has the adjuster screws and jam nuts for the fast install SB pushrods.

They also have TC pushrod tubes and clips that will give you about another inch to work on the pushrods. HD also has them as SE parts, S&S has them, Colony, etc.

https://www.feulingparts.com/sku/4095

https://www.feulingparts.com/instructions/pdf/4095.pdf

https://www.feulingparts.com/sku/4092

https://www.feulingparts.com/sku/4093

capn

I called Smith bros looking for new fast I stall screws and nuts and they sent them no charge .free.

jsachs1

Quote from: capn on January 10, 2024, 11:11:44 AMI called Smith bros looking for new fast I stall screws and nuts and they sent them no charge .free.
They have ALWAYS been a top shelf manufacturer. Best of the best.
John

nibroc

:chop:

good to hear

.................... :baby:

capn

I modified Smith bros twin cam fast install to use on my shovel with velva touch lifters.Nice and quiet.