April 27, 2024, 03:28:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Building a transmission from parts

Started by CraigArizona85248, January 07, 2024, 08:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigArizona85248

January 07, 2024, 08:56:52 PM Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 09:29:16 PM by CraigArizona85248
I've had a perfect Nov 1946 cast date transmission case and kicker cover on the self for over 20 years. I started going through all my transmission parts and found about 95% of the parts needed to assemble a complete transmission.

I had a good set of shafts and a close ratio gear set. I had to buy a few bits of hardware (kicker cover nuts/washers/studs, lid screws, and a few one-time-use lock washers). Also needed a period correct hand shift lid, and a one piece kicker arm. So I'm about $250 deep at this point. Not bad for a transmission that currently sells for $2000-$3000 in often worse condition.

Main shaft gear set.
You cannot see attachments on this board.

New needle bearings for the main drive gear and the counter shaft 3rd gear cluster.

Added the counter shaft gears.

Checking the counter shaft gear endplay.

I got this one piece kicker arm off eBay for $65. That's cheap because one of the previous owners had stripped out the kicker pedal bolt. Then, rather than fixing it with an insert repair, they welded the bolt to the kicker arm!  :banghead: Lucky for me, their welding skills were poor as was the penetration of the weld. I was able to grind down the weld and use an EZ-out to remove the remnants of the pedal bolt. I installed a helicoil (3/8-24) to get the stripped hole back to OEM spec.

Almost complete. Just heed the lid screws and the lock washer that goes on the kicker end of the main shaft. Then I can button it all up.

turboprop

Very cool. Is there any value in having those castings vapor blasted or would removing the patina cause a decrease in value?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

CraigArizona85248

January 08, 2024, 07:49:02 AM #2 Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 08:17:05 AM by CraigArizona85248
Yeah, a lot of guys like the natural aging of the sand cast aluminum cases. I do too. I don't mind them clean, but I don't want them to look new.

This case started out in black paint.