April 27, 2024, 09:49:09 AM

News:

Shovelhead engine ?

Started by GenXrule, January 11, 2024, 10:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GenXrule

January 11, 2024, 10:57:45 AM Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 11:55:26 AM by GenXrule Reason: Spelling mistake
Hi Folks, I was hoping someone, with more knowledge than I, might be able to identify the engine in my 1972 FLH, there is no manufacturer mark on the cases. It's fitted with S&S super g carb, oil pump and barrels, looks like stock cylinder heads although they are dual plug. Not sure on the rocker covers. There is a S&S super stock points cover but I am not sure that means the cases are also S&S.

Hossamania

Post a pic of the other side of the motor. No marks on the bottom anywhere?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

SP33DY

S&S isn't bashful. The S&S logo will be proudly displayed on both case halves if it truly is S&S cases. A quick look at the motor number located below the timing plug on the left case should give you another clue, provided that the cases weren't "re-stamped" by someone. There is plenty of information available online to decifer the numbers if they are from H-D. If the cases are S&S, you can call them with the S&S numbers and they can tell you if the cases were sold by themselves or as a part of one of their kits or full engines.

GenXrule

I'll get a couple more images uploaded. It looks like the case has been stamped with the original engine number. Thanks for your responses.

capn

Pull the timing plug and look for numbers on the flywheel. May be an s&s stroker.

Dogbone45ACP

Definitely has stroker plates under the cylinders.

JSD

S&S can cover & as said striker plates. If S&S cylinders they have a raised number. All as above remove timing plug an get number to identify if S&S wheels numbers will read upside down. Go S&S site if theirs and the chart tells All 

bump

Cone shovelheads have the numbers are in front of the front lifter block.

JSD

Quote from: bump on January 11, 2024, 06:13:10 PMCone shovelheads have the numbers are in front of the front lifter block.
Quote from: bump on January 11, 2024, 06:13:10 PMCone shovelheads have the numbers are in front of the front lifter block.
Yes if HD 

72fl

That is not a Harley Engine as I have a 72 also #*---------* is on mine

2CLK1

S&S cylinders have their name on the base of the cylinders under the intake ports, at least my do.
All gave some.. Some gave all..

DA71FX

The cases look OEM, the cam cover, carb and air cleaner are S&S, there are stroker plates between the cylinders and cases soooooooooo, I am going to bet you have a stroker like the others have said check the flywheels.....
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH