April 27, 2024, 01:19:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Front fork oil

Started by bigfoot5x, January 14, 2024, 11:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfoot5x

I have a 2016 Street Glide Special. I picked up some chrome lower fork sliders at a good price and am about to swap the parts out. Question about the amount of fork oil. I've seen a you tube video where the guy said to just pour 24 ounces into each fork. The shop manual says to pour in slightly more than 24 ounces and  use a special tool to suck out exact enough so the oil is 3 3/4" from the top of the tube. Is this really needed? Can I just pour in 24 oz?

Hossamania

Quote from: bigfoot5x on January 14, 2024, 11:27:12 AMI have a 2016 Street Glide Special. I picked up some chrome lower fork sliders at a good price and am about to swap the parts out. Question about the amount of fork oil. I've seen a you tube video where the guy said to just pour 24 ounces into each fork. The shop manual says to pour in slightly more than 24 ounces and  use a special tool to suck out exact enough so the oil is 3 3/4" from the top of the tube. Is this really needed? Can I just pour in 24 oz?

I would go by what the manual says.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

speedzter

Just use a syringe and some clear tube with a mark at the correct level.

JSD

I think they want to keep air gap the same so both forks have equal pressure 

bigfoot5x

Thanks for  the help. The syringe idea had me remembering that I have a suction cup for bleeding brake lines. That should work.

tomboyjr

You can also use a lighter, or heavier weight oil to fine tune the ride.
For that matter, adjusting the height of the oil will affect the ride also.

bigfoot5x

Got it done. I put the SE fork oil in the forks and noticed a difference on first ride.

truckrglenn

Quote from: bigfoot5x on January 23, 2024, 07:02:48 AMGot it done. I put the SE fork oil in the forks and noticed a difference on first ride.
Is the ride better or worse?

bigfoot5x

I noticed a difference in the ride right away. The bike used to feel like it was floating sometimes at speeds over a little hump in the road. It does not do that any more. I also noticed there is  less dive on the front end when applying the brakes hard. Harley used to sell a premium front fork kit and reduced dive when braking was one of it's features. I got the same thing by using the SE oil. I don't know if I missed out on any other features but the bike rides good for me. These to things I noticed right away.