April 27, 2024, 06:48:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New Project

Started by DA71FX, January 19, 2024, 07:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DA71FX

January 19, 2024, 07:05:43 AM Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 09:13:46 AM by FSG
Well, it has been a year since the house fire and the loss of both shovels. I have collected enough parts to start a new project. The lower end is a set of 56FLH cases with S&S 4.25 stroker wheels, and the top end consists of a set stock height 3.625-inch bore cylinders with a set of ported and dual plugged 77 shovelheads. All of this is sitting in a 1967 swingarm frame. I will post the project here as long as it runs a shovel top-end. Unless that offends someone to the point, I need to move it to the Panhead board to keep everyone happy teeth: The basics on the 93-inch motor is I am running a set of Ross pistons that get me into stock height cylinders with just under a 9:1 compression ratio. I am running an Andrews number 3 cam. I have not yet decided on an ignition system, but I have a few options. I will likely run an SU but am considering a super B or Mikuni VM44. This is a swap meet special. All parts are swap meet, eBay, and Chopper swapper finds. With no regard to year, my only concerns with this build are: does it fit, and does it work.....I am building this with the same approach I would have taken in the late '80s, and the look will be pretty much reflective of the late '70s-late '80s makes I was around growing up in CT. Here are a few more pictures to follow as I remember to take them.
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

98s1lightning

4 1/4" x 3 5/8" is 88ci

id recommend a Dyna S for ignition, I never played much attention to the pre-cone motor lower end stuff, but I know a Dyna S can be ran in a distributor I just don't know if the distributor needs to be custom modified or what

Also pay close attention to the oiling system. Again I'm not sure how many changes there were on the generator lower ends for oiling as far as pumps and pinion shafts go. 

I am sure there are plenty of knowledgeable guys on here that can help you with what it takes to build a pan shovel though.

Best of luck on your build

If those are forged pistons make sure you run more clearance than a cast piston. I'm not sure what ROSS recommend s but I'd guess its around 0.006" if your gonna beat on it.

Are you going to upgrade from OEM hydraulic shovel style lifters? 

98s1lightning

My bad looks like you have solid lifters in it already. That's what I'd do on a budget build too.

98s1lightning

If I'm not mistaken pre 63 pans oil feed up the inside, so your going to have to convert to outside oiler to run shovel feed

DA71FX

The lower end has been set up to run outside oilers and is running an S&S oil pump. I have run Dyna ignitions in the past, and they work great. I currently have a Spyke Dual Fire electronic ignition in a pile, a couple of stock timers, a dual-point one, and a few magnetos. Still, on dual-plugged bikes, I usually don't run mags because I don't want to spend the cash on the  MSF units from Morris. Running a Dyna S or E-Beyond 2000 or points with two Dyna DC-1 coils in series is an option. The only thing that may keep me from running the SU is it currently needs throttle shaft bushings, and I have a NEW S&S. That being said, my preference is always the SU.
As far as running solids, I tend to run solids on everything except stock motors. I am running an Andrews #3 cam with .514 inches of lift. If I ever convert this back to a pan top end, I would keep that cam. I find that once I get over .490, lift hydraulics are a mixed bag. Velvatouch lifters are great, but to me, they are not worth the cost over solids....I don't mind adjusting them—usually, a twice-a-year thing when riding ten months a year. There are a lot of really knowledgeable guys here; I have been on the site since the old site...With job changes and moves, I have not been very active for the last eight years, but I plan to be more engaged. Piston clearances are set as recommended by Ross. What I usually do when setting up an early set of cases for a shovel or outside oiler top end is to install plugs into the oil feed holes on the deck of the cases. Then, I feed it from the oil pressure switch port on the oil pump.
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

JSD

capn

Friend of mine bought a project much like that. I helped him get it running. Same oil pump,solids,Mallory distributor . Ran the top end oil line from the hole on back side of the pump. I lent him an s&s e. Once we got it timed right it fired first kick.

Fugawee

The Project looks pretty good so far from where I'm sitting.
I did a couple of those type of Projects over the years as well.
I also grew up in CT but bounced around here and there in the mid 70's and early 80's.

DA71FX

This one is fun so far, I should have documented it more as each part came in or when I went through the and checked things out on the engine and did the topend....but I seem to get started on what I am doing and then for get to take pics....I got the pushrods in and adjusted today and the transmission mounted.....even with the heat on the garage floor is to d@mn cold. Right now I need to order an old-style throwout bearing and a few little parts...still need to decide on a headlight....I am thinking a side mount bates and the appropriate mount if I can find one...
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

JSD

Clutch throw bearing. I used eastern Taiwan made I believe 

DA71FX

Last time i did one I used Eastern I think.....it's been about 20 years....
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH