April 28, 2024, 10:19:21 AM

News:

Catch Can Issue

Started by Jim Bronson, January 19, 2024, 10:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan89flstc

January 22, 2024, 05:46:27 AM #25 Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 06:47:33 AM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: pauly on January 21, 2024, 03:30:15 PMAnybody venting M8s to ground?
Thanks
Pauly

I am venting my `19 M8 to the ground.

When it was the OEM setup I would see some oil in the air cleaner, but since I routed an open-ended hose to ground I don`t see any oil on the end of the hose at all.

I have about 3 bucks invested in my overboard breather setup.

When you add a catch can, you are creating a place for condensation to form.

If you just route an open hose away from the rear tire, the warm vapors will simply go to the atmosphere.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

TN

I'm reluctant about even posting my setup for a twincam, I use the kuryaykn bluegrass fittings from my heads which goes upward to a Y, goes straight over the rear rocker box down to this position. I did this several years ago for a test and thousands of miles later it's still there, I use to check it often but now I just pull the white vaccumn cap on the bottom of container to empty.  I have had a hose on the bottom fitting too but I prefer just to empty now on occasion. It could stand some refinement.
You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.
Just Ride..........

Hossamania

I'm not a fan of going up with drain tubes, but a lot of people do it with seemingly no problems.
TN, when you pull the breathers out of the head at the backing plate for the throttle body, do you have any fluid collected there?
I do like the can mounted in a hidden spot behind the bag.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

TN

Hoss, I'm just a parts changer, but this system works for me. It's a vent not a drain is how it was explained to me, and on a healthy motor it shouldn't be a problem. I've taking off the lower rocker box part several times to inspect and the breather galleys were perfect. One time on the breather bolts I saw a little white goo but very minimal, most times when I do ride she gets up to full operating temp.

I've had this system on for some time now, I could look at my notes to be exact. I do live in a hot humid place and my bike stays in a conditioned garage. It did get cool last week. I looked for a pic on my phone but saw a squirrel LOL  :hyst:
Just Ride..........

rigidthumper

I use the stock bolts & breather tubes, slipped into thin silicone hoses to a T, then up along the backbone, then down/out to atmosphere.
with the stock AC cover on, it disappears.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

jsachs1

Boom. To the ground.
John

hrdtail78

Catch cans are for the track and I don't see the benefit for street use.
Semper Fi

truckrglenn

My catch can that I bought off Amazon. This one has a dipstick. I was blowing oil down the side of my bike. Tried venting to the ground, but too much oil was dripping. I hope to be doing a 124 upgrade later this year.

fbn ent

Old EVO setup. Seems to work okay...to ground.

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta