April 28, 2024, 04:01:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Catch Can Issue

Started by Jim Bronson, January 19, 2024, 10:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

I recently installed a catch can for the intake vent. It seemed to work OK until I recently noticed oil/water supttering out the holes at the top and getting all over my front exhaust shields (It is mounted to a down tube). I removed it to take a look and found the internal threads completely rusted. Unless the threads are stainless or aluminum, this is entirely predictable. The can had only about 1000 miles on it. This is disappointing. I'm thinking about just removing it and either going back to stock or re-routing it and letting it just drain on the ground, keeping it clear of the tire. From what I can see, there is minimal risk if a few drops fall on the ground and the tire runs through it. I won't be competing in Isle Of Man anytime soon. Which option is preferred if I trash the can? Thanks.

Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

fidel

on the ground for   8 years no problem  for me

Hossamania

Is it emptied on a regular basis?
Post a pic.
Like fidel, I've vented to the ground since '95, no issues.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Breeze

My tube vents just below the frame. I give the area a wipe when I do fluid changes and don't have any concerning grime. Also no drips where it's parked.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

FLDavetrain

Vent to ground via front of cam cover just below frame, no issue 4 bikes, many years
currently 510ci on tap

SP33DY

On my 1990 Evo bagger, I routed the vent to the area under the seat where I placed a cut and folded over section of "Pig" oil absorbent mat. I just changed it when I serviced the bike. It was pretty effective at containing the mess.

Drifting off topic, but I would like to add:

I also use the Pig mats on the bike lifts. I bought some 18" x 26" aluminum baking sheets to put under bikes, and place pig mats in them. Not only do they contain a lot of mess, but they also make a good place to set oily parts to drain before they go to the solvent tank.

Jim Bronson

January 20, 2024, 09:54:22 AM #6 Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 10:19:57 AM by FSG
Yesterday was the first time I opened it since installation. I thought I would empty it during oil changes. It was installed probably 1000 or less miles ago. There wasn't much residue in the bottom, so I'm surprised moisture migrated all the way up through the foam disks and out the top holes.

I think I'll just run it back along the frame and let it drain for now. I suppose I could clean the threads and coat them with WD-40 if I ever decide to use it again.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Hossamania

Do you have a picture of it assembled?

Ohio HD

I use the Jaz catch cans. This one has been on since 2017, no corrosion at all. And I do get condensation out if it in humid weather.

JAZ Products
605-375-01 - Black With 3/8" Fittings
605-325-01 - Black With 1/4" Fittings

Jim Bronson

Jim Bronson

Somewhere I think I have a little filter that would fit on the end of the hose and replace the can. Maybe I'll just use it and see what happens.

HogMike

I use a small can for my evo 113 S&S
Had it for years and empty it every so often when it's on the lift.
Took the little filter off the top and tubing all the way out the rear fender You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.
HOGMIKE
SoCal

tdrglide

I finally took the catch can off my Roadglide. Was catching mostly water anyways. Amount of oil was negligible. At first after new engine build, catch can gave me an idea of engine health. But for me now, more trouble than it's worth. All my other Harleys I vented to atmosphere. No filter, no issues.

Probably hundreds of thousands of bikes out there still running vented to throttle body or carb

Hossamania

Quote from: tdrglide on January 20, 2024, 02:09:30 PMProbably hundreds of thousands of bikes out there still running vented to throttle body or carb

There are, and my guess is that the tb or carbs are filthy.

Jim Bronson

My original reasoning for adding the can was because I had rebuilt the top end with an S&S 110 kit, so I wanted to keep it spiffy clean. It was probably a nonsense purchase (not my last). As soon as it warms up a little in the garage, I'll extend the tubing and route it away from the exhaust down low on the frame. If I see any drips on the garage floor, maybe I'll add the filter.

Thanks for all the good info.

JSD

For get the filter . 

No Cents

I too like Brian run a JAZ mini catch can for years now.  :up:   
I did remove the top filter and I installed a 90* turn down fitting on top of the catch can to eliminate any moisture from building up inside the filter as the engine breathes. The vent hose goes down below the frame off the top of the catch can.

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

No Cents

Quote from: Jim Bronson on January 20, 2024, 10:54:01 AMSomewhere I think I have a little filter that would fit on the end of the hose and replace the can. Maybe I'll just use it and see what happens.

I think you will find the media filter in the catch can that your running will clog up over time and restrict the engine from breathing properly. I don't like the catch cans that have the filter media in them.  If you try just a filter on the end of the hose it will clog up too and restrict breathing.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Hossamania

Quote from: Jim Bronson on January 20, 2024, 10:51:47 AMYou cannot see attachments on this board.

Does that can have another outlet besides the holes on top? If not, it was inevitable that it would start spitting out debris from them. In fact, the filter element is probably exacerbating it by holding the liquid in suspension for the air pulses to push it up and out.
As you see, the other cans posted have a drain to release the liquid, and a vent to direct overflow to the ground.

Jim Bronson

Nope, there are no other openings in the can except for the holes around the nipple. A slight pressure differential will pull water and/or oil through the holes and onto my exhaust shield. Not a great design.

Hossamania

"Not a great design."

It is not.

hardheaded

I have been running my breather hose to the ground since the invent of the Shovelhaed engines.

pauly

Anybody venting M8s to ground?
Thanks
Pauly

Hossamania

My buddie is, I'm assuming many are. If you look close you can see where the barbs drilled into the backing plate breathers and the hose running down to the right of the cam cover.

FloridaJim5

Quote from: pauly on January 21, 2024, 03:30:15 PMAnybody venting M8s to ground?
Thanks
Pauly

Yes, I vent straight to the ground.  I route hi-temp silicone hoses between the cylinders and down between the engine case and the primary.  Can't even see it and it has never dripped a single drop in my garage.