April 27, 2024, 05:19:42 PM

News:

2001 FLSFTI Fatboy

Started by bikesnbrews, January 28, 2024, 05:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikesnbrews

January 28, 2024, 05:48:13 PM Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 05:56:46 PM by bikesnbrews
Hello everyone!

Need help in diagnosing or where to start.

2001 Harley Fatboy Fuel Injected w/ 4.5k miles.
Mods: Stage 1 kit with Vance and Hines Straight Shots
New Parts: Crank Position Sensor, Fuel Pump Assembly and hoses, Check Valve hose, Ignition Coil.

Cuts out when idling and bogs down and dies when riding in gear. Was running good and then progressively has gotten worse. No codes.

1st steps Cleaning IAC (No Change)

Checked inside of tank, saw fuel pump filter and holder disintegrating --> Replaced with new fuel pump, check valve, and hoses. (No change)

Replaced CPS next (No change)

Replaced coil out of desperation(No change).

https://youtube.com/shorts/wazLiKLcQzk?si=eqxOKaAtAD5tp_pV

Seeking wisdom. Thanks in advance.

Hossamania

There was an issue on later years with the connector pins fretting at the throttle body connector. Not sure if it is your problem, but worth removing and cleaning pins and plug with some electrical contact cleaner.

I also just noticed that this is a 23 year old bike with only 4000 miles on it. What is its history? Has it been sitting long term and recently pressed back into service?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

I assume when you say the fuel filter you mean the sock inlet filter to the pump? There's also an actual fuel filter that the pump feeds, and also a fuel pressure regulator. It's possible there's an issue with the pressure regulator, and I guess the fuel filter could be getting plugged. I would think before replacing anything else I would get the fuel pressure tested.

The issue with TB connectors are with newer bikes that have TBW. The issues were mainly from 2008 to 2010.

Hossamania

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 28, 2024, 06:55:31 PMThe issue with TB connectors are with newer bikes that have TBW. The issues were mainly from 2008 to 2010.

You're right, I forgot this one is cable actuated.

kd

With the information given, it's displaying symptoms of a gradual shortage of fuel over time.  I would follow up on Ohio's suggestion(s).  There's a better than average chance that old fuel (ethanol) has slowly varnished the fuel system and reduced the flow to the point it is now too lean to pull its own weight,  It could be in the injectors too.  Have you noticed cold starts and running is when it seems worse and maybe even pops in the intake when you apply the throttle?.
KD

bikesnbrews

Quote from: kd on January 28, 2024, 07:53:55 PMWith the information given, it's displaying symptoms of a gradual shortage of fuel over time.  I would follow up on Ohio's suggestion(s).  There's a better than average chance that old fuel (ethanol) has slowly varnished the fuel system and reduced the flow to the point it is now too lean to pull its own weight,  It could be in the injectors too.  Have you noticed cold starts and running is when it seems worse and maybe even pops in the intake when you apply the throttle?.
I was thinking fuel delivery as well, since it has been sitting for most of its life. I recently drained the tank and got rid of all the debris and replaced the fuel pump, filter, regulator, and check valve hose a couple weeks ago. Still no change.

There are times where it does pop when I apply the throttle as well and has been recently been coughing at idle/riding in gear.

kd

January 28, 2024, 08:16:53 PM #6 Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 11:04:15 PM by kd
Quote from: bikesnbrews on January 28, 2024, 08:09:05 PM
Quote from: kd on January 28, 2024, 07:53:55 PMWith the information given, it's displaying symptoms of a gradual shortage of fuel over time.  I would follow up on Ohio's suggestion(s).  There's a better than average chance that old fuel (ethanol) has slowly varnished the fuel system and reduced the flow to the point it is now too lean to pull its own weight,  It could be in the injectors too.  Have you noticed cold starts and running is when it seems worse and maybe even pops in the intake when you apply the throttle?.
I was thinking fuel delivery as well, since it has been sitting for most of its life. I recently drained the tank and got rid of all the debris and replaced the fuel pump, filter, regulator, and check valve hose a couple weeks ago. Still no change.

There are times where it does pop when I apply the throttle as well and has been recently been coughing at idle/riding in gear.

Did you clean the injectors?  There's one other possibility that kind of fits your last description.  The head temperature sensor.  It will not throw a code and I have noticed a similar characteristic when one of mine before it has failed completely.   The 2001 also had a tight harness under the tank that would loosen the connector on the (usually) front injector.  Checking that is a freebie.  Manipulate it when you have it started and see if it stalls or bucks at your touch.
KD

bikesnbrews

January 28, 2024, 08:42:52 PM #7 Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 11:05:29 PM by kd
Quote from: kd on January 28, 2024, 08:16:53 PM
Quote from: bikesnbrews on January 28, 2024, 08:09:05 PM

Did you clean the injectors?  There's one other possibility that kind of fits your last description.  The head temperature sensor.  It will not throw a code and I have noticed a similar characteristic when one of mine before it has failed completely.  The 2001 also had a tight harness under the tank that would loosen the connector on the (usually) front injector.  Checking that is a freebie.  Manipulate it when you have it started and see if it stalls or bucks at your touch.
The only extent of cleaning the injectors was throwing in some Mobil Techron Fuel Injector cleaner when filling up the tank. I just checked the connectors of both injectors and both were secured, I'll try and manipulate the wires with the bike on tomorrow and see if there's a change.

RoadKingKohn

This is beginning to sound like my 2005 FLHRCI that I still have not solved.

rigidthumper

You may need to get one of these, but having had that same issue on an 07 that sat for a dozen years, the fix was to replace everything fuel related except the tank (we cleaned that).
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Fugawee

Are the Intake Manifold Seals original or old?
Something that You may want to check and replace if necessary.

bikesnbrews

Quote from: rigidthumper on January 29, 2024, 05:54:26 AMYou may need to get one of these, but having had that same issue on an 07 that sat for a dozen years, the fix was to replace everything fuel related except the tank (we cleaned that).
Thanks for the link! Yeah, I went in and checked to make sure the regulator housing, hoses and connections were still good from when I replaced it a couple weeks ago and everything seemed fine. Hoping I didn't install a dud fuel pump. (Fuel Pump from Quantum Fuel Systems)

bikesnbrews

Quote from: Fugawee on January 29, 2024, 06:01:13 AMAre the Intake Manifold Seals original or old?
Something that You may want to check and replace if necessary.
Intake Manifold Seals are the original ones/old. I haven't replaced those. I'll squirt some brake cleaner near them to see if there's a change and keep y'all updated. 

I do feel like the symptoms worsen as soon as I ride for more than a couple mins. (Hence why I replaced the CPS, but made no change)

rigidthumper

Once you have it tested, you'll know!
Should jump to 58-62 PSI when the fuel pump is on (key on, run-stop switch in run position), during the initial two second prime. The system then goes quiet, and should hold at least 50 PSI for a few seconds, and when you hit the start button, should go back to 58-62 PSI while idling. Should hold near that, regardless of RPM. If the pump & pressure checks out, then I'd replace the injectors. 27609-01B is the part number for 1 injector.
There is also an oring between the manifold and the throttle body, held together with 2 screws. Be worth checking while there.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Fugawee

With everything that You have done already as far as the Fuel System goes...I agree about a Fuel Pressure Test.
Just a suggestion, but I would make plans now to replace the Intake Seals if they are as old as You state that they are.
Could be a reasonably cheap fix and save You a Future Headache down the road.

Ohio HD

I would still want to test that pressure, just to eliminate the chance that the pump is maybe an issue. Here are a few posts where two guys who own service and performance businesses give opinions on aftermarket fuel pumps.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,119291.msg1429118.html#msg1429118

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,119291.msg1429120.html#msg1429120

Hossamania

As kd mentioned, a head temperature sensor test or replacement might be in the mix too.

xlfan

January 29, 2024, 11:01:45 AM #17 Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 12:46:56 PM by FSG
Quote from: bikesnbrews on January 28, 2024, 05:48:13 PMCuts out when idling and bogs down and dies when riding in gear. Was running good and then progressively has gotten worse. No codes.

Do you still have powered head light when it bogs down and dies when riding in gear?

thumpr54

Didn't see if anyone mentioned about checking your battery cables........
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

nibroc

battery cables and all grounds

:gob:  :gob:

Hossamania

Check the battery and charging system as well, as long as you're bringing this thing back into the world.

SP33DY

Motion Pro makes a nice fuel injector cleaner. I have one and it works great. For personal one time use, it's not cost effective, as it costs almost as much as a pair of new injectors. On the other hand, your local indy shop probably has one and could clean your injectors for a nominal fee.

Injector cleaner video

Drag # 3804-0046 Motion Pro # 08-0594 Fuel Injector Cleaner Kit For EV1/EV6