April 27, 2024, 12:39:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Switching Wheels on a 2022 RG.....need some help

Started by rauchman, February 01, 2024, 04:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rauchman

Greetings,

Hope I have this in the correct forum.....

I have a 2022 RG.  I've changed the suspension to Ohlins HD 044 shocks and the Traxxion AR-25 fork kit.  I'm in quest of sporty, yet plush ride.  The suspension mods so far give the sporty, but not quite plush ride.

Last spring, my buddy (who is not an HD guy) bought a used 2017 Road King.  Aside from seat, windshield and fangs, the bike was totally stock.  We did a tour last summer for 5 days / 2,200 miles.  At one point, we switched bikes, and I was kinda shocked how comparatively, plush the ride was on the RK.  I know the RK has HD's 13" shocks with 3" travel, but hey, I'm running top of the line Ohlins.

Did some research, and it seemed to always come back to the RK's 16" / 17" wheel combo vs the RG's 19" / 18" wheels, with the RK's tires having more sidewall to soak up road imperfections.  Scoured Ebay, and found a set of 2017 Ultra rims (same dimensions as the RK wheels) and put them on my bike.

What I found was, while yes, I was getting much closer to the plush factor I was looking for, the bike felt really sluggish in turning.  Did some research, and the overall height of wheels with tires are different by about 1/2" on the rear, and IIRC, about 1/4" in the front.  I think this changed the rake/trail just enough to make the handling very sluggish in turns.

The Ohlins shocks are height adjustable by +/- 1/4", which isn't enough to offset the height changes in the wheels. 

How do I fix this?  How does this not affect the Road King, since the chassis is the same between the bikes?

Are there tire choices in the stock 19"/18" RG wheels that would allow for a plusher ride?

calif phil

Are you running 12" shocks?  13" would be better. 

kd

IMO with the recommended 40# air pressure (with the average tire construction) not much sidewall flex is happening.  There are some manufacturers tires that do have stiffer sidewalls and those in fact are even harder to mount because of that.  It is my personal experience that when up to temp (especially on hot days and road surface) too much air pressure usually brought on by the heat (expansion) will cause the bike do get twitchy.  Every imperfection and crack in the road surface is noticed and it responds often as oversteer.  The average known increase in tire pressure is about 6# on a hot day.  I can confirm this to be true as I have monitored mine with my TPS fob. 

You may get some relief by using the lower acceptable range in your tires but know that will build heat from sidewall flex.  Also keep an eye on the tread wear pattern for signs of cupping and feathered edges.

The 13" shocks ride softer for a reason. More travel.  The suspension action is spread out over a longer arm movement. I doubt you will ever be able to compete with that using 12" of travel.  If you want an indication of that, search online for used Harley shocks and you will see that the takeoff market is nearly all 12" stroke. Hmmmm, I wonder why?  If you want to keep the 12" shock, you may want to contact Ohlin and see what they recommend.  There are a few folks on this site that know this stuff really well too.  They may jump in with some adjustment ideas also.
KD

rauchman

Quote from: calif phil on February 01, 2024, 07:01:00 AMAre you running 12" shocks?  13" would be better. 

Running 13" Ohlins HD 044 shocks

rauchman

Quote from: kd on February 01, 2024, 07:14:37 AMIMO with the recommended 40# air pressure (with the average tire construction) not much sidewall flex is happening.  There are some manufacturers tires that do have stiffer sidewalls and those in fact are even harder to mount because of that.  It is my personal experience that when up to temp (especially on hot days and road surface) too much air pressure usually brought on by the heat (expansion) will cause the bike do get twitchy.  Every imperfection and crack in the road surface is noticed and it responds often as oversteer.  The average known increase in tire pressure is about 6# on a hot day.  I can confirm this to be true as I have monitored mine with my TPS fob. 

You may get some relief by using the lower acceptable range in your tires but know that will build heat from sidewall flex.  Also keep an eye on the tread wear pattern for signs of cupping and feathered edges.

The 13" shocks ride softer for a reason. More travel.  The suspension action is spread out over a longer arm movement. I doubt you will ever be able to compete with that using 12" of travel.  If you want an indication of that, search online for used Harley shocks and you will see that the takeoff market is nearly all 12" stroke. Hmmmm, I wonder why?  If you want to keep the 12" shock, you may want to contact Ohlin and see what they recommend.  There are a few folks on this site that know this stuff really well too.  They may jump in with some adjustment ideas also.

kd

Quote from: rauchman on February 01, 2024, 07:41:26 AM
Quote from: kd on February 01, 2024, 07:14:37 AMIMO with the recommended 40# air pressure (with the average tire construction) not much sidewall flex is happening.  There are some manufacturers tires that do have stiffer sidewalls and those in fact are even harder to mount because of that.  It is my personal experience that when up to temp (especially on hot days and road surface) too much air pressure usually brought on by the heat (expansion) will cause the bike do get twitchy.  Every imperfection and crack in the road surface is noticed and it responds often as oversteer.  The average known increase in tire pressure is about 6# on a hot day.  I can confirm this to be true as I have monitored mine with my TPS fob. 

:oops:  For some reason, in your opening description when you mentioned the RK having 13" shocks, I took that to mean as as in different to yours and probably 12".
KD

hattitude

Quote from: rauchman on February 01, 2024, 04:26:13 AMGreetings,

I have a 2022 RG.  I've changed the suspension to Ohlins HD 044 shocks and the Traxxion AR-25 fork kit.  I'm in quest of sporty, yet plush ride.  The suspension mods so far give the sporty, but not quite plush ride.

You may be searching for a Unicorn.....   Sporty ride, and Plush ride are usually polar opposites.

Since I don't know exactly what you are looking for, or what blend of those two settings will work for you, I would suggest getting a shock with the largest stroke, and the ability to set not only preload, but damping as well.

With the biggest possible stroke for your comfort (usually translates to ride height), and complete adjustability, you may find that balance you are looking for...   

Then adding a tire with a bigger sidewall (smaller rim), and experimenting with pressures, will also increase overall ride adjustability.

It could take time and experimentation with the varies settings, but IMHO that would be your best chance...

I won't share how much I have spent on shocks for my bagger, looking for that "perfect" ride... Sadly, same was true on seats... many, many seats..  :cry:

Good luck with your search...

Jim Bronson

Quote from: hattitude on February 01, 2024, 09:47:47 AMI won't share how much I have spent on shocks for my bagger, looking for that "perfect" ride... Sadly, same was true on seats... many, many seats..  :cry:

You're in good company. I've seen other threads on various forums seeking the holy grail of suspension systems trying for the best of both worlds. I tried Ohlins on my RK, but they didn't work for me. Ohlins is a great marketing company, but they mostly made their bones on the track where ride comfort is secondary. I'm using Legends on my 2013 Dyna, and they are the best shocks I've tried on Dynas. They balance ride with handling for a good compromise on both.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

boooby1744

Tire choice also has an effect on ride. I have Avon Cobra chrome,40 psi 17F,44psi 16R. They already have a stiffer sidewall. Great handling, not so good ride My neighbor has Continental Conti Tours,38F,42 rear. He said they are smooth riding and have good traction.

rauchman

Quote from: hattitude on February 01, 2024, 09:47:47 AM

You may be searching for a Unicorn.....   Sporty ride, and Plush ride are usually polar opposites.

Since I don't know exactly what you are looking for, or what blend of those two settings will work for you, I would suggest getting a shock with the largest stroke, and the ability to set not only preload, but damping as well.

With the biggest possible stroke for your comfort (usually translates to ride height), and complete adjustability, you may find that balance you are looking for...   

Then adding a tire with a bigger sidewall (smaller rim), and experimenting with pressures, will also increase overall ride adjustability.

It could take time and experimentation with the varies settings, but IMHO that would be your best chance...

I won't share how much I have spent on shocks for my bagger, looking for that "perfect" ride... Sadly, same was true on seats... many, many seats..  :cry:

I hear ya.  Prior to the Ohlins HD 044's, I had tried the RWD RS-1 shocks, using the standard spring.  AFAIK, these have the longest travel in a 13" shock at 4".  These have low and hi compression adjusters and preload.  The Ohlins HD 044's that I have, have preload, compression and damping adjusters, and have a 3.6" travel.

I could not find a setting I liked on the RS-1's.  I understand they have since modded the valving that, I would think, gets closer to the plushness factor.

I'm still trying to understand, how using RK/Ultra wheels on the RG has made the turn in sluggish.  Rather, I think I do know, in that the overall height of the wheel/tire is different than the stock RG wheel/tires, and is throwing off the rake/trail.  What I don't know is, how does it work on the RK, and not on the RG since they have the same chassis

kd

Quote from: rauchman on February 01, 2024, 11:11:21 AM
Quote from: hattitude on February 01, 2024, 09:47:47 AM

I hear ya.  Prior to the Ohlins HD 044's, I had tried the RWD RS-1 shocks, using the standard spring.  AFAIK, these have the longest travel in a 13" shock at 4".  These have low and hi compression adjusters and preload.  The Ohlins HD 044's that I have, have preload, compression and damping adjusters, and have a 3.6" travel.

I could not find a setting I liked on the RS-1's.  I understand they have since modded the valving that, I would think, gets closer to the plushness factor.

I'm still trying to understand, how using RK/Ultra wheels on the RG has made the turn in sluggish.  Rather, I think I do know, in that the overall height of the wheel/tire is different than the stock RG wheel/tires, and is throwing off the rake/trail.  What I don't know is, how does it work on the RK, and not on the RG since they have the same chassis

It may be possible that your front suspension mod is influencing the rid / handling as compared to your buddy's RK.  Is he using the late model 13" Harley adjustable rear shocks?  They appear to work better when loaded on the higher end.  They also only have one of the pair doing most of the work.   

The rear sag you have to set to soften the ride may be somehow negated by the front setting in the kits you installed. You can't leave them out of the mix.  Maybe try some different front fork oil viscosity and try that.  It's definitely cheaper than jumping into buying high dollar components just on spec. 

If you still have them, you may want to try your previous wheels at the same time and fool with the air pressure. 

Tires with softer rubber compounds bite better at the expense of mileage wear rate.  They should however allow you to run the higher pressure to tighten up the handling while you tackle the suspension to smooth it out. 

As said, you'll probably have to settle at a median of sorts.
KD