April 26, 2024, 11:45:41 PM

News:

Codes

Started by IronButt70, February 04, 2024, 04:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronButt70

Went for a ride the other morning. It was a cool (44°F) clear blue skies day. Was just cruising along at 60 when the cruise control disengaged and the check engine light came on. Engine never missed a beat. About 30 seconds later the check engine light went off and the cruise control was working again. Not tempting fate I rode home. I always run with the PV hooked up so I looked at the codes. There was a bunch.
Canbus error
Lost comm with LHCM
Lost comm with RHCM
Lost comm with BCM
Lost comm to speedo

The speedo never quit working. I checked for loose connections or any obvious wiring issues and found none.  What happened? Could cold weather have caused something. Have ridden several times since in the same temps and the bike hasn't done it again.  :scratch:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

IronButt70

Guess I'll chalk it up to post 100k gremlins.  :scoot:

jamminhd2000

I had a customer with same codes...over time it got worse and speedo and tach gauges started fluttering all over the place...it ended up being a damaged wire in the wiring harness in the neck area...thebike was a 2014 ultra limited with 100k+ miles....problem started out intermittent and gradually got worse over time...jimmy

Jim Bronson

I had something like this happen when I had my PV connected. The codes were cleared when I started rides, but the "lost comms with speedo" code appeared at the end of the ride. It appeared on both the PV and the bike. Once the bike was tuned, I removed the PV, and the code never showed up again. I never did find out what caused it.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

IronButt70

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on February 10, 2024, 09:03:04 AMI had a customer with same codes...over time it got worse and speedo and tach gauges started fluttering all over the place...it ended up being a damaged wire in the wiring harness in the neck area...thebike was a 2014 ultra limited with 100k+ miles....problem started out intermittent and gradually got worse over time...jimmy
Thanks. I'll check on that. I looked again and the codes were back on the PV but the check engine light never came on. Is there a specific procedure for checking the harness in that area or is the issue usually near a connection?

rigidthumper

There is a P-Clamp just in front of the tank on the right side, and seems to be the stretch point for the harness.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

IronButt70

Quote from: rigidthumper on February 11, 2024, 06:43:00 AMThere is a P-Clamp just in front of the tank on the right side, and seems to be the stretch point for the harness.
Thanks. Need to get to the bottom of this before my annual summer trip.