2021 M8 Touring Throttle Butterfly Barely Opening

Started by robertg, February 07, 2024, 10:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertg

I have a 2021 Touring that feels really sluggish, not much power. With the air cleaner off I can see that the butterfly will barely open when I try to rev it. Maybe 1/4". Is it supposed to do that with no load? I can't drive it on the road for a few more months.

The bike was in an accident last year before I bought it. No damage to the wiring or throttle that I could see. It had several codes after the accident which is normal. I cleared them and they never came back. When the bike was first started after the crash it was really sluggish, then it seemed to get a little bit better.

I was thinking it was sumping, but there wasn't that much oil coming out of the crankcase when I checked it.

I was going to try a new throttle grip sensor first. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Jamie Long

On 21-later models when in neutral and reving the engine the ECM only allows the throttle to open to 20% TP. When in gear & moving (or stationary and in gear with the clutch pulled in) it will operate as normal.   

robertg

Thanks, I'll put it in gear and see if it changes.

I also didn't mention that I replaced the instrument cluster with a brand new one. I wonder if that might have something to do with this problem?

robertg

I put it in gear and with the clutch pulled in, the butterfly opens wider now. The bike still feels a little sluggish, but it might be my imagination. I have been mainly driving BMWs now that rev a lot quicker than a stock 114 Harley.

Hossamania

At what rpm, gear, and speed are you trying to accelerate?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

robertg

Quote from: Hossamania on February 07, 2024, 05:07:02 PMAt what rpm, gear, and speed are you trying to accelerate?
I'm not even riding it now, it is Winter here. I only rode this bike 300 miles last year and wasn't really impressed by its power in any gear. My main bike is a R1200GS BMW, so a stock Harley will seem a little slow compared to the BMW.

I just was moving this bike and a 2019 117 from my heated shop to a cold storage across my yard. They were both sitting beside each other idling. I always thought this bike didn't feel right and in neutral the 117 revs a lot quicker. The 114 just didn't seem to rev that quick, but since the throttle only opens 20% in neutral that explains a lot.

kd

Quote from: robertg on February 07, 2024, 05:33:46 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on February 07, 2024, 05:07:02 PMAt what rpm, gear, and speed are you trying to accelerate?
I'm not even riding it now, it is Winter here. I only rode this bike 300 miles last year and wasn't really impressed by its power in any gear. My main bike is a R1200GS BMW, so a stock Harley will seem a little slow compared to the BMW.

I just was moving this bike and a 2019 117 from my heated shop to a cold storage across my yard. They were both sitting beside each other idling. I always thought this bike didn't feel right and in neutral the 117 revs a lot quicker. The 114 just didn't seem to rev that quick, but since the throttle only opens 20% in neutral that explains a lot.

We're you not riding a built 120 RG before?  Either one will feel a little lazy/soft compared to a cocked and loaded hot rod.   Just sayin.
KD