April 27, 2024, 01:23:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Does this sound like a dying fuel pump?

Started by misfitJason, February 09, 2024, 05:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfitJason

Here is a video of my fuel pump on my 2006 Dyna. 55k miles. The bike runs fine but the pump has been sounding funky at cold starts. It's humming louder at idle as well. Whatchya think

[ame]https://youtube.com/shorts/vCdzysoNhTw?si=bf1Y76GSmAgrtwC3[/ame]
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

calif phil

Cant hear good enough to tell, I would pull the canopy and check to make sure fuel is not leaking from the regulator housing or fuel hoses.  I have changed lots of 2006 regulator housings.   Trask makes a billet one if you want to go first class. Not sure if Dyna's are the same tho. 

fbn ent

The wife's '07 Sportster was making a a whining noise on start up. I tried putting a dollop of Marvel Mystery oil in the  tank. Sound is gone for a few fills and then comes back. She carried a bottle in her saddlebag and just added a bit every so  often. I'm thinking it doesn't like the ethanol.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

hrdtail78

Quote from: misfitJason on February 09, 2024, 05:11:41 AMHere is a video of my fuel pump on my 2006 Dyna. 55k miles. The bike runs fine but the pump has been sounding funky at cold starts. It's humming louder at idle as well. Whatchya think

[ame]https://youtube.com/shorts/vCdzysoNhTw?si=bf1Y76GSmAgrtwC3[/ame]

What is the amp draw? A clogged filter will make a pump work harder.  Is everything in there 18 years old?
Semper Fi

misfitJason

Leed

The fuel pump on my 06 EG died @ 36,000 miles so maybe your pump is on the way out.

Rusticwater

I'm with Phil and hrdtail78. Check out what my fuel filter looked like after only 25K miles and premium "Top Tier" only gas here.
Support the Maine lobster industry

misfitJason

I think I am going to order up a complete Quantum pump and amenities