April 27, 2024, 03:56:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Running rich after baffle change

Started by anthonyflhx, February 11, 2024, 01:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyflhx

My touring m8 was dyno'd and running great. I didn't like the air cleaner as it stuck out and kept hitting me knee. I changed to the oval Harley ac with k&n filter. I also changed out my performance baffles from 2.25" to 2", if i remember right.
Now my bike is running rich. I barely get 200 miles a tank. I have the tts mastertune, and was wondering could i select all the tables and reduce them 1 notch or 2 leaner?
Or do i have to use flight recorder to record data runs and merge?
Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

rigidthumper

Use Flight Recorder & V-Tune for a couple sessions, and the VE tables should clear up (after checking for fouled spark plugs).
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

anthonyflhx

I did 3 flight recorder runs today and this was the last shot of the vtune3 tables.
Does this look pretty good or do i need to do a few more runs?

If more runs, is there a way to just target the purple cells without doing a full run in every gear, speed and rpm?
Appreciate your feedback.
You cannot see attachments on this board.

pauly

Hi Anthony,
I'd do a few more runs. Try (for example), just above idle, in second gear, 20%, and 30%, etc etc throttle, and leave the throttle at that setting, until the bike is doing as many revs as it will do. That will gather a bunch more data that is missing thus far.
For the purple cells, the few more runs might gather the missing data.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: anthonyflhx on February 14, 2024, 06:30:55 PMI did 3 flight recorder runs today and this was the last shot of the vtune3 tables.
Does this look pretty good or do i need to do a few more runs?

If more runs, is there a way to just target the purple cells without doing a full run in every gear, speed and rpm?
Appreciate your feedback.

anthonyflhx

Thanks for the feedback. One thing i noticed, that may be affecting those first 3 columns, is my main lambda table's first 3 columns went open loop. I had all columns except last 2 originally set to 0.990.
I don't know why the first 3 changed to 1.055 and nothing changed from other columns?
Do i need to set first columns back to 0.990?

rigidthumper

When using narrowbands to gather data, I find more cells filled if I set everything 90 KPA & below  to 1.0 lambda, and then reset the desired table to original after completing the Vtune process.

anthonyflhx

I just did a 45 minute flight recorder and made sure a good amount was spent from 1500rpm to 4k. I mean i hit every cell from 1500 to 2500 for every gear. Why aren't the first two columns gathering any data?
You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.

rigidthumper

Because that data is outside the normal operating limits- it's decel, mostly at high vacuum (low MAP). Blend to the left from known good data (white cells) .

anthonyflhx

Thanks Rigid for all the help. I have another question if you don't mind.
Here's the egr table for a run and it shows numerous areas where's im more then 5% out of range.
However, if I apply changes the next screens Verizon tables don't really show any out of range that have gathered data. Since most cells are white is that a good run and ready to finalize?
I don't understand why egr was so out of range but ve tables looked good to my newbie eye.

rigidthumper

The EGR is more of a "cleanup", after getting the VE tables within close (less than 5% deviation) parameters. It kind of represents the "spit-swap" that occurs in the intake manifold, and is good for smoothing the tune. I always accept those changes as part of the final edit, flash and ride/evaluate manners.

anthonyflhx

Thank you very much. Short test was nice.

Quote from: rigidthumper on February 19, 2024, 04:17:21 AMThe EGR is more of a "cleanup", after getting the VE tables within close (less than 5% deviation) parameters. It kind of represents the "spit-swap" that occurs in the intake manifold, and is good for smoothing the tune. I always accept those changes as part of the final edit, flash and ride/evaluate manners.