April 27, 2024, 07:40:11 AM

News:

oil light on dash of 97 eg

Started by No Problem, February 13, 2024, 09:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Problem

engine  complete re build 20 lbs of oil  pressure light comes on like there is a short where should i look happens off an on

kd

Do you mean "oil pressure" or "engine" light?
KD

rigidthumper

Disconnect the green/yellow wire off of the oil pressure sending unit. It provides the ground to the oil lamp, so when you disconnect that wire, the lamp should go out. Once removed, is the oil light on or off? If it's on with the wire disconnected, the signal wire is shorted to ground somewhere. Time to look for a bare wire or pinch point.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

98s1lightning

Like rigidthumper said

I can't speak for Touring Bikes

But on FX solid mount bikes, I have often found the oil switch wire chaffed through and grounding somewhere under the dash.

Good luck diagnosing

Like he said when you disconnect wire from sender the bulb should go out

The sender opens at like 2psi or some very low value, on a really hot day if your idle is set too low, thin hot oil, and that system works correctly, your dash oil light can flicker or "wink" at you.

No Problem

Quote from: No Problem on February 13, 2024, 09:39:32 AMengine  complete re build 20 lbs of oil  pressure light comes on like there is a short where should i look happens off an on
engine light

No Problem

ive been plagued mice in garage   iwill try an do all suggestions thank you

kd

February 16, 2024, 10:40:26 PM #6 Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 05:45:36 AM by kd
Quote from: No Problem on February 16, 2024, 11:15:47 AM
Quote from: No Problem on February 13, 2024, 09:39:32 AMengine  complete re build 20 lbs of oil  pressure light comes on like there is a short where should i look happens off an on
engine light

The engine light flags many several historic incidents.  It could be as simple as an engine kickback during a hot start.  More if it's fuel injected.  Check for codes first.  If none found it could be an engine temp sensor in the front head (doesn't give a code) or the kickback mentioned. It may have been a loose connection which will often leave a code or some other incident.  If an other oil gauge in the sensor hole shows the stated 20# it's likely good.  Use a known good gauge as a master for that test. 

Either way the light will return to normal after approximately 50 start cycles.   You can also clear them by disconnecting the battery and resting it for a while.  The factory service manual should help with the procedure.
KD

Leed

Since you know you have pressure it might just be your sender unit has gone bad.