High Performance Engines and storage, VALVE SPRINGS service life

Started by 98s1lightning, February 15, 2024, 12:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98s1lightning

There may be no clear answer to this,
I'm wondering how many off seasons is it safe to keep a bike with High Performance Springs in it

In the North my bikes set for the winter months occasionally started on warmer days.

But on these high performance engines you have 180# springs on the seat and say 350# open (?)

You got a bike setting in the shop with a valve open and a spring setting under tension. Thats a fact of how these engines function.

Do you pull the pushrods every season and preserve spring life or what.

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

I'm talking pre-99 bikes, none of these are conical/beehive springs. They are Leineweber spring packs or S&S triple springs, maybe Manley Triple Springs.

98s1lightning

I also gotta say, this place is full of interesting discussion and wise industry leaders willing to share. Thank you 

JSD

I have those 180 plus hi lift . I the bike is to sit for a while I turn the engine over . 

capn

I have a 120 evo and ride it at least once a month. And I use star tron in the gas.

Ohio HD

I think the one size fits all answer can't even come close to determining the when and why a spring should be replaced. I doubt that higher spring rates really have much effect on spring fatigue, those higher pressure springs may be made from a thicker wire, different material than lower pressure springs. More than likely it's a percentage of loss that would best be attached to loss in spring rate. Meaning a high pressure spring that looses 5% of it's strength will be a higher pressure value than a lower spring pressure that looses the same 5%.

Professional racers change valve springs at some frequency, 10 races, 30 races, top fuel maybe every race? For street use, I doubt that you will have issues with spring rate drop that causes issues. Although you can test them every winter if you wanted, replace as needed.

In automotive circles they have methods to test spring pressure on the motor.
I would bet that true pro motorcycle racers have made similar tools. 

SP33DY

Easiest thing to do is remove the pushrods on your high performance Harley. On the Sprintcar engine we remove the rocker arms if the engine is going to be idle for more than a couple weeks.

JSD

I get it with a V8 . But a simple rotation of a  Harley performance engine. Is easy done.