April 27, 2024, 03:02:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fuel pressure issue no spark front cylinder

Started by Stevershop, February 18, 2024, 03:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevershop

Have a 2000 road king fuel injection my front cylinder spark comes and goes I did a fuel pressure test its only 25 psi should be around 50 would that cause my firing issue 

fbn ent

I'm no MM expert but fuel pressure is critical.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Ohio HD

Something easy to check is the fuel lines on the interior of the fuel tank. If one is split or damaged and there is pressure loss internally, that might explain the low pressure reading on your gauge.

kd

Quote from: Stevershop on February 18, 2024, 03:19:46 PMHave a 2000 road king fuel injection my front cylinder spark comes and goes I did a fuel pressure test its only 25 psi should be around 50 would that cause my firing issue

Welcome to HTT Steve.  To be clear, are you saying there is no "spark" or do you mean it misfires?  How have you determined there is no "spark"?  Low fuel pressure and no spark are 2 separate issues. One is fuel and the other electrical.  Can you confirm the gauge you used to do the pressure test is accurate? 

Ohio's tip is a good one and a leaking hose in the tank can often be heard or seen in the tank as swirling fuel when the key is switched on and the fuel pump primes in the first few seconds.

Also, the 2000 vintage Road King did have a common fault in the wiring harness. It was too tight under the tank and would pull on the connector to the front injector usually first causing intermittent loss of cylinder but gradually failing completely.  The most common point of failure is a pulled wire out of the connector for the injector.
KD

rigidthumper

:agree:  Also, the wire inside the insulation can break, causing an intermittent loss of connection just above the injector. Replacement pigtails are available.  LINK
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

bigfoot5x

If I remember correctly, there were lots of postings on HTT about fuel lines in the tanks splitting or leaking when fuel injection was new for Harley's.