April 27, 2024, 01:44:02 AM

News:

Program VIN in Used ECM

Started by Ohio HD, February 20, 2024, 09:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

February 20, 2024, 09:31:36 AM Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 11:39:24 AM by Ohio HD
Before I buy a used ECM I'm looking at I want to run this buy by you guys.

Upgrading a 2008 touring bike transmission to a unit from a 2013 touring bike that has the upgraded 5th gear setup. They went from straight cut gears (2008) to helical cut gears (2010 up). This changed the ground speed input to the ECM and the 2010 up ECM has an update to output to the speedometer correctly.

HD has a flash update for the ECM to use the later transmission in an earlier bike. Bulletin M1330 speaks to this. A Digital Technician must be used to apply this update. 

Here's where the question comes in, if I have a used ECM from a 2011 touring bike, it will have the updated speedometer data for the helical cut gears. Couldn't I just edit the VIN number with the Techno Research Centurion to match the 2008 bike and then install it and go?

rigidthumper

I believe yes, you can, but it may require an unmarried key/license.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

Ah I see, maybe that has to happen secondly. I do happen to have two new HD fobs, so if I get in that situation I should be good as I can program them with the Centurion.

I stopped by one of the local HD dealers yesterday with a copy of the M1330. The service manager looked at it like it was Greek to him, and asked where did you get this? I explained the trailering of the bike due to the motor and tune, and that he would not be able to access the ECM unless I restore the OEM data first. Then he looked at me like I just robbed the first bank of Harley Davidson and said he doubted they could do that.... 

fbn ent

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 20, 2024, 11:04:27 AMAh I see, maybe that has to happen secondly. I do happen to have two new HD fobs, so if I get in that situation I should be good as I can program them with the Centurion.

I stopped by one of the local HD dealers yesterday with a copy of the M1330. The service manager looked at it like it was Greek to him, and asked where did you get this? I explained the trailering of the bike due to the motor and tune, and that he would not be able to access the ECM unless I restore the OEM data first. Then he looked at me like I just robbed the first bank of Harley Davidson and said he doubted they could do that.... 

:emoGroan:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Ohio HD

Quote from: fbn ent on February 20, 2024, 11:32:29 AM:emoGroan:

I felt exactly like that.

This HD store used to have one of the best HD techs in a very large radius around Cincinnati. He knew everything inside and out. He's been retired for about five years, and is no doubt missed by many.

98fxstc

You have a TTS tune in that bike ?

Ohio HD

98fxstc

The TTS dongle will become obsolete with the removal of the ECM.
Can only be used with the 2008 ECM unless you send it back to TTS for some work.

Ohio HD

It's obsolete now, it won't work with MT9 MAPS. I'll need to buy a new TTS unit or a PV unit when the time comes anyway.

98fxstc

Ohio HD

Besides, when I change the VIN in the ECM it may work anyway.

lonewolf

I'm relying on old brain cells but I believe it marries to something besides the vin. One thing to be aware of using the 13 ecm is that the TTS is the only one that reads the ecm and won't let you put in a cal for an 08.

Ohio HD

What my plan is first to change the VIN number to the 2008 bike. Then see if I can put the 2008 OEM MAP back in place.

I'm not 100% sure, but I also may be able to over write everything with data and stage 1 tune with the Centurion. If TTS won't allow access, then I'll try Power Vision. I won't beat my head against it very long. 

98fxstc

The dongle marries to the ECM.
The software displays the VIN as a 'label' and the label may be changed without compromising the 'marriage' (although I didn't get to verify this when I had to replace my ECM).

Ohio HD

So a question for anyone who has gone down the road of installing a 2010 and up six speed in a 2006 to 2009 bike. Was the speedometer variation something that can be addressed by the VSS in an aftermarket MAP? Am I way overthinking the need to solve the issue with the HD M1330 update?

rigidthumper

IIRC, it was a trigger change, not a VSS count- something about the trigger reading was different between the straight tooth gear and the angled tooth, and there was a fix included in the DT updated map.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

That's what I'm wondering. Below the scenario shows the speed based on a fixed RPM across the board, top line being as the factory delivered the 2009 bike. The second line is based on a percentage change, the third line would be a fixed variation of a fixed MPH difference. In all cases the RPM ix fixed at 2,500. 

I assume the VSS would correct the third line but not the 2nd line of a percentage change.

Ohio HD

More than one way to skin a cat....

One part down, two more to go. Original part numbers and superseding part numbers below.

2008 original part - 35470-06   COUNTERSHAFT ASSEMBLY
2010 and up part - 35600115   COUNTERSHAFT ASSEMBLY

2008 original part - 35801-06   GEAR, FIFTH INPUT
2010 and up part - 35801-10   GEAR, FIFTH INPUT

2008 original part - 35201-06   GUIDE HUB, DOG RING
2010 and up part - 35201-10   GUIDE HUB, DOG RING (use 35467-06C INPUT SHAFT KIT)
2010 and up part - 35467-06C   INPUT SHAFT KIT (GUIDE HUB, DOG RING, BEARING, INNER FACE, RETAINING RING)

You cannot see attachments on this board.

You cannot see attachments on this board.