April 27, 2024, 01:53:09 PM

News:

2012 cam tensioners

Started by 76shuvlinoff, February 24, 2024, 06:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

One of those things that you think about when you are minding your own business,  then you're fixated.

12 103 with 37K miles. I installed new cams and adjustable pushrods at just over 3K miles. The oil has been 10w-60 Liqui-Moly changed at 4-5K intervals since then.

I assume I should've taken a look at the cam chain tensioners by now. Correct? Who reads service manuals?  :embarrassed:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

rigidthumper

Not unless you're really bored. I haven't seen a set of hydraulic tensioners with excessive wear ( as long as they were assembled correctly) under 60K.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

Just had mine checked on the '12 Ultra with almost 60,000 miles, tensioners about half worn. Buttoned it up, will worry about it later.
Ride it, ignore minor noises.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

thumpr54

16 FLTRU with 75k....thought about having a look-see....probably be ok til next off season.... :chop:
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

76shuvlinoff

Ok, thanks guys.  That buttons up my pre-season check.  :hyst:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

14GuineaPig

The tensioners on my 14 FLHTK were replaced at 130,000 miles. 

zj1182

My 2002 Softail Heritage twin cam 88 ci has 120k miles. It came equipped with the OEM spring loaded cam chain tensioners a lot of riders posted about, finding serious wear or even failure.
At 35K miles before a month long trip to places where service (both HD and cell phone) would be unavailable I replaced my spring loaded cam chain tensioners with new OEM tensioners of the same spring loaded design, as the originals were visibly worn. Also cut out the OEM solid push rods and put in adjustable push rods.
At 55 k miles, again before a long trip to remote places, I again found the spring loaded tensioners visibly worn and replaced them with a screaming eagle oil pump, new cam plate, and the newly available SE hydraulic tensioners.
At about 100K miles I had my indy service guy look at the hydraulic tensioners.  He used a probe connected to his phone to inspect and record the inner tensioner inspection, only pulling the cam cover but not the cam plate, and the shoe was fine.
My '02 is sorta retired now, only used when riding friends visit from far away. My newer '13 103 CI softail heritage has about 80K miles on it.  It came with factory installed hydraulic tensioners, so I don't worry about them now.

Sorry for the late reply.

Cheers!
John G